24v power supply question

Timeismoney08

I have a 120ac to 24vdc 40amp power supply that went bad.

Can I take two 120ac to 24vdc 20amps and put them in parallel?

I know this works fine with batteries, what about a power ac to dc power supply?

I only ask because we'll have to wait on a 40amp ps

You can only do that if the power supplies have the explicit ability to be paralleled. If your 20A supplies don't have paralleling ability, you can get modules that will allow you to do it. The issue is that since normal supplies will never be at EXACTLY the same output voltage, they will fight each other, circulating currents will develop, and the power supplies will fault (if you're lucky). If your're not lucky, you'll damage them.

If you can split the loads roughly in half, you can always have your two 20A supplies share a common ground, and feed the positive sides to each load half.

-rpoet

40 a is a big dc supply... What are you driving ?? If 20 a will cut it, any supply can be paralleled through a diode box... Also get the advantage of redundancy..

40 a is a big dc supply... What are you driving ?? If 20 a will cut it, any supply can be paralleled through a diode box... Also get the advantage of redundancy..

When you say diode box, what do you mean exactly? I was wondering if that was something I could do.
Could I just put a diode on the power supply if I bought some from radio shack?

Thanks for the help

Here's a schematic of the two diodes used by the Phoenix Contact redundant (paralleled) power supplies decoupler.

29wp9wg.jpg

When you say diode box, what do you mean exactly? I was wondering if that was something I could do.
Could I just put a diode on the power supply if I bought some from radio shack?

Thanks for the help

You could make your own, is just a suitably rated diode after each ps output... But the mean well / weidmuller options are relatively in expensive..

Because he it's not trying to rectify AC he is thinking about paralleling DC power supplies.
A full wave bridge is 4 diodes. Half of it will do the job.
Exactly the same as the Phoenix Contact solution. I like the Phoenix Contact, because it's Din rail mountable, and has terminal blocks.
The OP mentioned Radio Shack. I was answering yes to that. Sounds like he has a couple of 20 Amp supplies, and wants to get running now. A full wave bridge should be easy to get and cheap.

Do the 20 amp power supplies have adjustable outputs? A diode in series with each power supply output will prevent circulating currents between the power supplies but will not insure the power supplies will share the load evenly. You will have to set the output voltages of each supply to be EXACTLY the same. If you need 24 volts at the load you will need to set the output voltages to about 24.7 volts to compensate for the voltage drop across the diodes.

Single output supplies are adjustable. With the voltages mismatched, the higher voltage supply will take most of the load. Sensing is local. That means output voltage will drop a little as load increases. Soon, the other supply will start to deliver. I expect voltage drop to be about 450 mV.
Most 24 volt devices have a wide tolerance range, so it wouldn't be a big deal if both supplies were set at 24.0 volts.

Last edited: