Panelview Plus 7 didnt work with compac Logix L24er

setiono

Hy guess,
Need help please..

I have a PLC compact logix L24er that has already running on system.
Than I have a small improvement to add an HMI (panelview plus7) on it.
I've create a .mer application and I've tested on laptop and it works well, but once I send and run it to HMI, the program didnt work.
It seems that it can not find any tag on PLC.

Fyi, PVP7 use firmware 5.10 and I use factory talk view 8.0.

what should I do to solve this problem.

many thanks for your kind

Check that your runtime path is correct and that you did not copy it from the devlopement/testing path.

If you uploaded the mer from the panelview and it was working check to see how that runtime path was set.

Alan.

I have set a shortcut path 'PLC' connect to the PLC that appears on rslinx in local setting. than I did the same way in runtime setting. But it didnt work in HMI.

my question is: Is firmware 5.10 at my PVP7 compatible with my PLC (CompactLogix 24er). Or I have to upgrade the firmware of PVP7?

thanks for your answers

I think there is some confusion in the nomenclature, and a lot of that is Rockwell's fault.

If you have version 5.10 firmware in your PanelView Plus terminal, then you have one of the first-generation terminals. With a 7 inch diagonal display, it would have been called a "PanelView Plus 700".

There are later hardware generations called "PanelView Plus 6" and "PanelView Plus 7", regardless of the size of the display. This leads to confusing labels like "PanelView Plus 7 700" for the 7 inch display model.

Because the CompactLogix L24 controllers came after the PanelView Plus (v5.x) firmware, it's possible that your PanelView's embedded version of RSLinx Enterprise does not recognize or support that specific CompactLogix.

What firmware revision is the CompactLogix running ?

The usual workaround is to manually create a Shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise that points to a 1769-L35E controller as a placeholder, with the IP address of your actual CompactLogix.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

setiono said:
...PVP7 use firmware 5.10...

Perhaps supplying us the full catalog number for the PanelView terminal might help us narrow down exactly what you have here?

It could simply be you have an older PanelView Plus 700 and are incorrectly calling it a "PanelView Plus 7" but I'm also wonder if you might have a "PanelView Plus 7" and are referring to the terminal as using "firmware 5.10", but are in fact not referring to the actual terminal's firmware and are in fact referring to the version of MER application file you have created and are attempting to run on the terminal? A version 5.10 application will run on a newer PanelView Plus 6 or 7 terminal, but they must be Performance model and not Standard model terminals.

Note: Application version does not necessarily mean the same thing as terminal firmware revision.

All manner of possibilities here, I suppose?
That catalog number will help clear things up for us though.

Regards,
George

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Perhaps supplying us the full catalog number for the PanelView terminal might help us narrow down exactly what you have here?

It could simply be you have an older PanelView Plus 700 and are incorrectly calling it a "PanelView Plus 7" but I'm also wonder if you might have a "PanelView Plus 7" and are referring to the terminal as using "firmware 5.10", but are in fact not referring to the actual terminal's firmware and are in fact referring to the version of MER application file you have created and are attempting to run on the terminal? A version 5.10 application will run on a newer PanelView Plus 6 or 7 terminal, but they must be Performance model and not Standard model terminals.

Note: Application version does not necessarily mean the same thing as terminal firmware revision.

All manner of possibilities here, I suppose?
That catalog number will help clear things up for us though.

Regards,
George

I'm sory for un-clear information.
the truth my HMI is panelview plus 700 with 5.10
and my PLC compact logix L24ER revision 20.12.

32znlm8.png

2hqb3n6.png

Can I still use this HMI to connect with the PLC?
If it possible, what should I have to do?

thank you

Last edited:
Try this solution ...

Launch FactoryTalk View Machine Edition and open the desired application. Click on RSLinx Enterprise--> Communication Setup.
Under the Runtime (Target) tab, right-click on the EtherNet, Ethernet driver and select Add Device, expand the EtherNetIP Devices folder and select the Ethernet Bridge (1769-L3xE), assign the IP address and change the slot number to 1, the Ethernet backplane is always 1.

Expand the Ethernet bridge and right-click on the CompactLogix System and select Add Device.
Choose the appropriate L32E/L35E processor and click OK (in your case try L32 ...)

Make sure the processor Slot is 0 and click OK.

Create a device shortcut and point to the processor. Make sure the Device Shortcut and PLC are hilighted as indicated by the red arrows. Then click the Apply button to apply the new path.

For me working well between Panel View Plus 1000 frm 5.10 and 1769-L33ER 30er

Bye bye

setiono said:
...Can I still use this HMI to connect with the PLC?
If it possible, what should I have to do?...

Yes, you can. Now that we are clear which terminal you have, all you have to do is follow Ken's good advice...

Ken Roach said:
...The usual workaround is to manually create a Shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise that points to a 1769-L35E controller as a placeholder, with the IP address of your actual CompactLogix.

And that jumpier then went on to repeat while elaborating somewhat further for you...

jumpier said:
Try this solution ...

...Under the Runtime (Target) tab, right-click on the EtherNet, Ethernet driver and select Add Device, expand the EtherNetIP Devices folder and select the Ethernet Bridge (1769-L3xE), assign the IP address and change the slot number to 1, the Ethernet backplane is always 1.

Expand the Ethernet bridge and right-click on the CompactLogix System and select Add Device.
Choose the appropriate L32E/L35E processor and click OK (in your case try L32 ...)

Make sure the processor Slot is 0 and click OK.

Create a device shortcut and point to the processor. Make sure the Device Shortcut and PLC are hilighted as indicated by the red arrows. Then click the Apply button to apply the new path.

For me working well between Panel View Plus 1000 frm 5.10 and 1769-L33ER 30er...

Regards
George

Thank you, George, for finding and posting the step-by-step process for inserting a placeholder CompactLogix into the RSLinx Enterprise.

It's not intuitive or obvious or automatic, and now it's in one more place on the Forum.

Ken Roach said:
Thank you, George, for finding and posting the step-by-step process...

Don't thank me Ken! jumpier posted that step-by-step in post #7 in this very thread, so kudos to them.

However, I can provide some previous info which might also help propagate relative info across the Forum, and give the OP here some further food for though, if they have the appetite for it?...

Panelview Plus 600 and 1769-L30ER

In that thread, I explain another, and perhaps "correct" way, to achieve proper compatibility between a CompactLogix 5370 controller and a PanelView Plus terminal running 5.10.xx firmware.

To recap on this once again while using the example in this thread...

In FactoryTalk View Studio v8.0, which the OP is using here, it is supported to select a 1769-L24ER-QB1B controller at firmware revision 20, which they are also using, under the Runtime (Target) tab. It is then possible to create a Shortcut and "Apply" it to the L24ER controller. However, when "Create Runtime Application..." is used, and "Runtime 5.10 Application" is selected, we will always get the default warning in the "ValidationResults.txt" file that pops up...

Validation Results said:
WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "SHORTCUT_NAME". Device name = "DEVICE_TYPE". Description: The system has detected that a device type that was not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. If the system upon which this project is to be run has received a patch that adds support for this device type, then this situation will not cause any problems. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged by the target system when it attempts to communicate to that device.

*** End RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***

Validation completed with warnings. The runtime application has been created.
CAUTION: Running this application might produce errors at runtime.

This message is default displayed as the View Studio software does not know which 5.10.xx firmware revision is loaded on the PanelView terminal that will run the 5.10 application. Which 5.10.xx firmware revision is loaded on the terminal is important because all PanelView Plus firmware revisions older than 5.10.08 do not support the newer 5370 CompactLogix controllers, that were incidentally introduced at controller revision 20. If we create a 5.10 application with a Shortcut to an L24ER, for example, and run it on a terminal with firmware revision 5.10.06 loaded, then the warning in the message will prove to be true, and there will be issues, or no communications at runtime. I would hazard a guess that the PanelView Plus 700 here is running a firmware revision that is older than 5.10.08 and that is primarily why this did not work.

So to get around this issue, we can either use a "placeholder" older 1769-L3xE controller, that is supported, or we can flash the PanelView Plus terminal to a newer 5.10.xx firmware revision (5.10.16 is the latest and likely last revision released) and then the shortcut to the newer L24ER controller will be supported.

Again, and regardless of whether or not the actual terminal has a compatible 5.10.xx firmware loaded, the Validation Results warning message will always display when a 5370 controller is used as a Shortcut in a 5.10 application. Having, or consequentially flashing the terminal to, a firmware revision that supports these controllers, will not disable the message, but it can just be ignored.

I'm not sure if that explanation adds to or just repeats the explanation in the other threads, but either way, hopefully folks get the gist?

P.s. setiono, glad to hear it's working!

Regards,
George

Last edited: