RSLogix 5000 couldn't be updated or uninstalled

tsmith35

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wanted to post this for anyone who might run into this issue in the future. A couple days ago, I tried to update the RSLogix 5000 that I have installed on my Windows 7 x64 machine. Specifically, I wanted to update Studio 5000 from v21.00.03 to v21.03.00. Not usually a big deal...

The problem I ran into was that the Rockwell installer got stuck while going through verification of module profiles. Going through the installer log, I saw two items that stood out. Here's the first:

Setup Plugin: MPI Client-level log: Error Querying state of Feature Help in installed instance of RADrives_PF7.msi
Setup Plugin: MPI Client-level log: MPI/MPSetup service layer Initialize failed, status = 1610

And the second error:

Setup Plugin: MPI Client-level log: ReadStringRegistryKey unable to access key; named value of key assumed not to exist: Class=HKLM Key="SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\Setup\PrerequisiteInstall" Name="Time" Error=80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.
Setup Plugin: MPI Client-level log: Time value of PrerequisiteInstall key not found... not waiting for a reboot.
Setup Plugin: MPI Client-level log: DeleteRegistryKey unable to find the key to delete: Class=HKLM ParentKey="SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\Setup" SubKey="PrerequisiteInstall" Error=80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.

Okay. I didn't find any direct answers through RATS (Rockwell Automation Tech Support), so I did a lot of digging. It turns out that the problems I experienced were due to two separate issues.

The first, the problem with RADrives_PF7, appears to be due to a corrupted module profile that was released. Mention of it appears in many places.

The second, the problem with the missing registry keys, appears to be due to an error in the Rockwell installer's handling of 64-bit Windows. The original installer created this key:
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\Setup\PrerequisiteInstall"
but rerunning the installer has it looking for this key:
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow3264Node\Rockwell Software\Setup\PrerequisiteInstall"
In addition, it's looking for a string value with a name of "Time" to be in that key.

So... first I created the expected key under Wow3264Node, then I added a string value of "Time" in that key. I left the string value blank.

Then I downloaded the Microsoft Fixit for install/uninstall issues from http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en-us.

I ran the Fixit and selected the option for problems uninstalling software. When the list of "found" software came up, I selected the top option, "Not Listed". I was prompted to enter the software product code. I looked through the RSLogix 5000 installer log and found a description for "ROCKWELL AUTOMATION DRIVES POWERFLEX 7 MODULE PROFILES" with a product code of "{BE08D625-05F5-4854-8977-39EAB03FB095}", so I entered that code. I was asked what I wanted to try, so I chose "Try uninstall".

After that, I was able to install and uninstall RSLogix 5000 software again.

I'm not sure where the original problem came from, but at least now I know how to fix it. Of course, YMMV. :) But just in case you run into this issue, perhaps this info may help.

Last edited:
21.00 to 21.03 isn't an update, it is a completely different and incompatible software revision, are you sure you want to do that?
In any event, for all Rockwell software, it is always best to completely uninstall, then reinstall.

l would have thought by now if people read previous post's or use the search engine that EVERYONE would know by now to use a VM for all separate versions. Of course this does not let AB off for there inability to understand the issues they cause by their on going upgrade/new versions that don't migrate (lucky a lot of people don't pay for it).

21.00 to 21.03 isn't an update, it is a completely different and incompatible software revision, are you sure you want to do that?
In any event, for all Rockwell software, it is always best to completely uninstall, then reinstall.

Rockwell really should've made the update to encryption into a major version release, but that's just my opinion. I run the newer (encryption) releases on a VM.