Wireshark for DeviceNet?

willxfmr

Lifetime Supporting Member
I didn't want to hijack a different thread so I figured it was best to start a new one.
The question comes from this thread.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=119185

My question is, is using Wireshark on Devicenet a thing? Have you done it? How did you set it up? I have never heard of it being done, but can see a lot of practical uses if it can be done. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Bubba

I have not done this myself - but I have wanted to get it done

EVTV has a package called GEVRET, for General EV Reverse Engineering Tool. It runs on one of their CANbus boards that can capture 1000's of messages per second (not really required for most people, but it works on Teslas)

The software does capture, playback, allows you to filter out portions of the messages, and supports a dictionary for associating the bits, bytes, and words within the messages into english.

I think it's under $1000 US to get it set up. Other packages used for CANbus are 10X the price.

That's the closest thing to Wireshark for Devicenet that I can think of