How's the Beijer HMI software?

It's nice. Easy to work with and connectivity to a vast number of plc. Fast to learn but do not try to do complicated stuff even if you can. Software is only half done - looks like hmi software but made by kids that have never seen a hmi so keep it easy..

I assume you mean iX developer, it is pretty good to work in. I prefer Siemens myself, because of the drag and drop functionality. But overall, on the software side, iX has been pretty good.

We ran into issue some years back with hardware failure, and extreme slow performance. That is when we changed over, now I only work in iX to port projects for replacement screens and changes to existing systems.

iX Developer creates large files, so invest in a larger HD and set up a DropBox type account if you need to send files to customers.

The run time operator security is or was terrible, if you allowed anyone to add/edit users, they get access to all user accounts.

Files are (only) large if raw or zipped. Using the built in Archive they become 10 times smaller than ziped landing <3MB or around.

Last edited:
I can't offer an opinion of "Proface or Siemens" but I do have an opinion on Maple Systems.

We have a lot "Maple System" Hmi's out in the field. They offer a tremendous amount of features for a lot less money. The programming software is FREE, and very easy to work with. Their SUPPORT is some of the best I have ever had to work with.

They have "MACRO's", Trends, Data logging, Tags, Modbus (rtu/tcp), all Hmi's are a MQTT publisher, remote access, several layers of security, Email, ETC..

In my book Maple System is hard to beat.

I've worked with iX Developer and GP-Pro quite a bit. IMO, iX Developer blows GP-Pro away. The recipes, data logging, and C# scripting capabilities in iX Developer are pretty nice. GP-Pro has scripting, but it's some proprietary Pro-Face language that leaves a lot to be desired. iX also handles text tables for multi-language interfaces much better than GP-Pro. The graphics in iX are also much more modern and pleasant to look at. GP-Pro's default buttons look like something from Windows 95 pamphlet, and tying multiple actions to buttons in GP-Pro isn't nearly as clean as iX.

I think the only reason we switched to Pro-Face from Beijer was due to Beijer's support in Asia. But, I've heard it's gotten much better in the last few years.

EDIT: However, Pro-Face's Blue software looks good. Lots of functionality, modern looking objects, adding expressions/visibility/scripting to buttons isn't a PITA. I think you can get a trial for 30 days free.

Last edited:
I can't offer an opinion of "Proface or Siemens" but I do have an opinion on Maple Systems.

We have a lot "Maple System" Hmi's out in the field. They offer a tremendous amount of features for a lot less money. The programming software is FREE, and very easy to work with. Their SUPPORT is some of the best I have ever had to work with.

They have "MACRO's", Trends, Data logging, Tags, Modbus (rtu/tcp), all Hmi's are a MQTT publisher, remote access, several layers of security, Email, ETC..

In my book Maple System is hard to beat.

recently i installed couple of Maple System HMIs. they are very cheap and not a solid product. they dont have many features compare to Proface and Siemens.

I've worked with iX Developer and GP-Pro quite a bit. IMO, iX Developer blows GP-Pro away. The recipes, data logging, and C# scripting capabilities in iX Developer are pretty nice. GP-Pro has scripting, but it's some proprietary Pro-Face language that leaves a lot to be desired. iX also handles text tables for multi-language interfaces much better than GP-Pro. The graphics in iX are also much more modern and pleasant to look at. GP-Pro's default buttons look like something from Windows 95 pamphlet, and tying multiple actions to buttons in GP-Pro isn't nearly as clean as iX.

I think the only reason we switched to Pro-Face from Beijer was due to Beijer's support in Asia. But, I've heard it's gotten much better in the last few years.

EDIT: However, Pro-Face's Blue software looks good. Lots of functionality, modern looking objects, adding expressions/visibility/scripting to buttons isn't a PITA. I think you can get a trial for 30 days free.

Yeah, I'd agree with all that.
I'm also curious to see what Proface Blue looks like with a real project. But it might be too new to do anything really useful.

Beijer iX is better if you are .Net programmer in thinking. They give you a small set of tools that you need to put together and code to get what you want. More tools, less specific features.

Proface GP-Pro is the opposite. They give you a mass of features that do exactly one thing. That's good if they have the exact feature that you wanted. Yes, there is scripting to do a little bit extra but not much. Less tools, more specific features.

Siemens will take you all day to install, eat up your PC, and be frustrating to get started. It works well, but I wouldn't touch it as an HMI only.
That's better if you are using Siemens PLC and want it all integrated.

how's the Beijer HMI software compare to Maple system,Proface, Siemens and etc?
I wouldn't recommend Siemens.

Maple Systems (Weintek) for basic, small projects.
Red Lion for intermediate, medium projects. Proface GP-Pro is a good alternative here; with more/better features but worse on the scripting.
Beijer iX for advanced, complicated, larger projects.

iX Developer creates large files, so invest in a larger HD and set up a DropBox type account if you need to send files to customers.

3/4 of the file size is just the Temp folder that is created on compilation. You can delete it as it will just be recreated when the project is next built.

For example on 112MB project with the temp folder deleted and the rest zipped up, the result is a very reasonable 7MB (zips up well as its all text files).

Which is great to know, but if it is so simple it makes it even more annoying that Beijer just decided to waste users disk space. I found that lack of thought for the user all through iX Developer and it's horrible interface. You might guess that I am not a fan.