Micro830

Engineer_UA

Hi Guys,

Need an advice from folks familiar with AB Micro830. Is this micro processor suitable for controlling two VFD driven water pumps? No axis control is required just simple control to maintain system pressure in distribution ring.

These units have embedded high-speed discrete inputs for high speed counting. Can these HSC inputs be set up as standard inputs to interface with field dry contacts?

Thank you for any feedback!

If you're going to use hardwired controls to the drives, then sure. I would not recommend trying to control VSD's over fieldbus (e.g. Ethernet) using a Micro830. Can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it.

As to your question about the high speed inputs: I'm not familiar enough with the Micro800 range to be certain, but some general information for you: if the inputs are specifically called out as a high speed counter, probably not. If the inputs are just regular inputs but noted as being able to do high speed counting, probably.

For example, some Micrologix models had say 10 digital inputs, and noted that 4 of them were high speed inputs. They were just normal inputs and 99% of applications used them as such, but if you wanted to use them for high speed counting, you could.

Conversely, some of the new 1769-L2x Compact Logix models have DI, DO and HSC onboard. They have 16 digital inputs, 16 digital outputs, and then 2 high speed counter inputs. These are not just digital inputs that can be used for a HSC - they're separate inputs called out as being specific HSC inputs. So in that case, no, you can't use them as a regular DI*

*well, there would be ways to make it work. But it'd be pretty agricultural and I wouldn't recommend it