RSLogix5000 GSV

mitch11

Hello all,

Could someone further explain how to use the GSV instruction in RSLogix.

For example, if I want to monitor the communication status between the PLC and a VFD, I have read that you can use a GSV. Class name module, and attribute name EntryStatus.

How am I supposed to know what the value that I receive back means? What value indicates communication is OK? Not OK?

Like I said above, this is just one example of the GSV. What if I wanted to monitor the status of the controller? What value indicates minor fault, major fault, program mode, run mode, etc.

Thanks for any information! 🍻

In the Studio 5000 Help file, the "GSV/SSV Objects" section is really good for both reference info and examples.

As a more general matter, I recommend two of the Programming Manuals:

1756-PM014: Logix 5000 Controllers Major, Minor, and I/O Faults

1756-PM015: Logix 5000 Controllers Information and Status Programming Manual

Doesn't matter what the value back means - read anything - if the MSG.DN is true, then you have comms, if the MSG.ER is true you haven't, monitor that to latch an alarm bit.

Here's one I use, it also includes to not to set the alarm bit if the drive is inhibited:

xf1elf.png