Downloading to ControlLogix without overwriting Tag values

ihc

Hello All, I have a problem which may just be because of lack of familiarity with Allen Bradley. I have an off line project in RSlogix 5000 which I am commissioning when production stops on a Friday. I have to then put the original code back into the PLC ready for Monday. The problem is when i send the PLC code back into the PLC the tag values go with it, for an easy example, when my program is in the product counters are 2 weeks out and when i complete the project this means all of the stats for the production area will be out. The problem is actually greater than just product counters, all of the machine data is wrong and has to be manually reset - but the product counter is an easy example. The main point here is I want to download the program without affecting the Tag values in the PLC, is this possible or am i making to much of a comparison to Omron etc...

On Friday, after production has stopped, go Online and perform a 'Save as' and say yes to the warning message that pops up. Keep this file separate. On monday after you are done, download this file to the processor

You'll also find a "Tag Upload/Download Utility" on the RSLogix5000 CD: does exactly what it says on the tin.:)

maybe I didn't make it clear, at some point I have to leave my program in the PLC, at this point all of the tag values will be weeks out of date. I am currently doing the save as for recovery after trials on the new equipment and that is fine, as a final solution i really would like to leave all of the stats correct (without having to type them all in). In omron I would download only the program and the retentive(D) areas etc would hold the values and not be overwritten.Thanks.

Tag upload / Download, that sounds more like it - I should have thought about looking on the CD for yet another program to install to carry out a fairly basic operation! Thanks, I will give that a try this afternoon.

It's just one of those architecture things; tag memory in a ControlLogix is not separate from program memory, so there's no such thing as a "partial download" like there is on some Siemens controllers. That's why there's a Tag Upload/Download utility.

I install all the Tools; the Performance Monitor, the DeviceNet Tag Generators, the Upload/Download Utility. They're all on the CD.