ModScan timeout Issue

jawad rasool

Good Day,
I'm using Mod Scan 232 for testing a Modbus RTU network on RS 485. The modbus device is Accuload iii.net.

The connection settings on modscan and modbus device are same but somehow i'm unable to see data on modscan. Whenever I connect the Modscan with modbus device there comes a time out error message. The modscan constantly polls from device and polling is combination of bad and good responses.

Please help me out in this issue.

I do have some questions regarding serial bus connections with DB9 Female connector.

-I've also seen many other connection summaries on internet also. Is there any standard common connection scheme for RS 485 as there is for RS232.

-Please confirm do I have to perform some settings on my laptop for DB9 connection scheme. So that my laptop should know which pin on DB9 is acting as receiver or transmitter for serial communication.

-I've a serila to modbus converter to connect the network with laptop, i'm using following connection summary for DB9 connector (2- Tx-, 3- Tx-, 5-GND, 6-RD-, 7-RD+), is it correct?

1) What serial connection is on the PC (running Modscan)?
An internal serial port?
A USB port?

2) What are the RS-485 connections on the Accuload?
2 wire?
4 wire?
is there a signal ground?

3) Please describe the serial/Modbus converter. What type of signal on one end, what type of signal on the other end?

4) How can you have "good responses" when you get a timeout message? Exactly what is a "good response"? What does it look like?