OT: Holy shtbls Batman

We have a machine in our plant that is very similar to this one. Looks like approx. the same speed to. We sort apple slices with it but instead of batting the pieces off with a mechanical device, we use air solenoids to blow it off to the reject stream.
Its cool technology for sure.

Maintenance should not be too bad. We have a couple of similar Tomra machines for sorting potatoes and they have been very reliable.
The really interesting thing with these machines is the way they scan the product. They take multiple pictures with different frequencies of visible and invisible light and then put them together in various combinations to identify different issues. This has only become possible during the last few years as the processing power required is enormous.

It would be interesting to know the false pass/false fail performance at that flow rate. Based on the video, it would appear that false pass would be measured in percent rather than PPM. But then, when sorting tomatoes, maybe that is what the economics dictate for their customer base.

It would be interesting to know the false pass/false fail performance at that flow rate. Based on the video, it would appear that false pass would be measured in percent rather than PPM. But then, when sorting tomatoes, maybe that is what the economics dictate for their customer base.

For our machine sorting the apple slices, the performance completely depends on the product being introduced. If we are shoving it full of rotten apples and its working double time to get all the rejects, yes it misses and manual visual inspection is needed in lieu of the sorting machine, however, if we are running nice product, it is 100% at getting the pieces of cores or apple skin that gets through. Also, separation of the product as it enters the machine is important, two slices on top of one another means the either slice didn't get inspected at every angle, so you might be allowing a bad one in. We actually saw the machines demonstrated with coffee beans, and I can tell you it was amazing to see how accurate it was sorting on color. Color that with the human eye looked very close to the accepted shade for that product for that grade of bean.

The speed amazed me, I guess for a product like tomato sauce, you could accept a certain percentage of rotten tomatoes. I wonder if the brown/gray things that explode upon impact are rotten pieces or dirt.
I guess it would be different for whole or diced tomatoes, but as you say, they probably use a cleaner batch for those.

I wonder if the brown/gray things that explode upon impact are rotten pieces or dirt.

I thought the same... thats why the messy comment, I have worked on a few peach machines near me, they have sorters but not the kickers, its very cool

Anyone watch the next video on youtube? I think they turned up the camera speed

They need to update that process, they miss a lot. I know of a recycler who does that and more, faster with dissimilar pieces and parts from a huge shredder. The whole line has several of these with different types of sensors some with air controlled kicker some with a blow offs.

They need to update that process, they miss a lot. I know of a recycler who does that and more, faster with dissimilar pieces and parts from a huge shredder. The whole line has several of these with different types of sensors some with air controlled kicker some with a blow offs.
Tomra's core business is recycling plants. The food applicatons are a refinement of the recycling machines.