Cummins vs Generac/Asco - Generator

rajy2r

We have always used Cummins Gensets over the past and recently i started looking around and have been quoted a Generac unit with an ASCO Transfer Switch.

Has anyone has experience with Generac/Asco or both in that matter.

Just would like to get some opinion on this. I like a single supplier from the Cummins/Transfer Switch Point of view, but if there are any other benefits, i don't mind switching.

EDIT: Should add this a 350 KW 3 Phase Genset

Last edited:
No experience with Generac/Asco, but is there a reason you would be looking to go away from Cummins?

Watch the ASCO unit - have had issues. It relies on the generator drifting against the mains and when in synch goes smash. Never heard of Generac and have been doing generator systems since 1990. Prefer CAT and Woodward controls to be honest - never had an issue.

I'm very late to comment on this thread, but...

I work for a commercial/industrial electrical contractor. I have seen many, and worked on several genset and transfer switch systems in the West Michigan area. My selection would be Cummins/Onan all the way. The reliability, service, and support are far superior to Generac. The Cummins option may be more $$$'s, but as almost always is the case, you get what you pay for.