Sending ControlLogix Tags to SQL Database

Vlad Romanov

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get into the MES side of things and looking to send some data from a ControlLogix (or CompactLogix) processor to a SQL database.

Would anyone know a good resource on getting this done? Which additional software might be needed? There seem to be a number of solutions, but the documentation seems to be lacking.

Thank you,
Vlad R.

What type of technology/philosophy do you prefer?

There are a number of ways to do it. Different companies prefer different solutions.

Some include:

1. Traditional scada with vba code behind.
2. Specialty PLC card to transact data.
3. PC based off the shelf transactor. FTTM for example.
3. Some newer scada tech. ???
4. Custom solution written in some language like C#/.net, Python, Java, using a direct driver to connect to the PLC.

Etc.

What type of technology/philosophy do you prefer?

There are a number of ways to do it. Different companies prefer different solutions.

Some include:

1. Traditional scada with vba code behind.
2. Specialty PLC card to transact data.
3. PC based off the shelf transactor. FTTM for example.
3. Some newer scada tech. ???
4. Custom solution written in some language like C#/.net, Python, Java, using a direct driver to connect to the PLC.

Etc.
That's an excellent question. I guess I'd be curious to see the pros/cons for all of the above in order to see what would work for me.

In the end, my vision is to be able to create any front end system based on the SQL database, so I'm assuming that the most interesting (cost effective?) solution would be to have direct drivers in C++ or C#.

Thanks again,
Vlad

my vision is to be able to create any front end system based on the SQL database,

In my opinion you want to look at Inductive Automation's Ignition product.

Even if their Java-based HMI/SCADA isn't what you need, the engine it runs on top of is based on SQL from its core; before there was ever a visualization engine it was "SQL Bridge".

In my opinion you want to look at Inductive Automation's Ignition product.

Even if their Java-based HMI/SCADA isn't what you need, the engine it runs on top of is based on SQL from its core; before there was ever a visualization engine it was "SQL Bridge".

I've been trying to get their trial running without any luck. It requires Java to run which I've installed, but their installer doesn't seem to think so. Contacted their support team without any reply... I'll try calling them I guess.

That's an excellent question. I guess I'd be curious to see the pros/cons for all of the above in order to see what would work for me.

In the end, my vision is to be able to create any front end system based on the SQL database, so I'm assuming that the most interesting (cost effective?) solution would be to have direct drivers in C++ or C#.

Thanks again,
Vlad

If you are a systems integrator you might want to become well versed on several philosophies. If you are a controls engineer at a company then the solution needs to be something the company can support and be comfortable with.

I was a PLC programmer for 20 plus years and moved into software development 10 years ago. I pretty much do method 4. I wrote a CIP direct driver for the Controllogix that lets me do some things that scada and commercial direct drivers can't do. I use that driver in windows services to build a middleware layer. I don't have a product that I sell or anything like that. I don't want the hassle of supporting an actual product but I have a system philosophy/concept that covers UI, middleware, database, PLC. It is used in several large manufacturing companies. Anywho, I would be happy to help if you need some guidance.

Cheers,
SD

I've been trying to get their trial running without any luck. It requires Java to run which I've installed, but their installer doesn't seem to think so. Contacted their support team without any reply... I'll try calling them I guess.

Go on their website and enter details in the "request a Demo" field. They will organise a GoToMeeting to show you them installing it (on their PC, not yours) from scratch. Also, in the download sections, are VM images with everything installed and setup;

https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/extra-material

You can also check out the forum there. Plenty of helpful people in the Ignition community. Just like here.

You most likely installed the wrong version, there is a 32bit and 64bit version. It matters. If you installed the wrong one, the installer will think you didn't install it.

Omron NJ

Omron NJ series PLCs will send and receive from SQL Database. No middle man involved. They have 2 models. One that will handle a single connection and another will connect to 3 databases(y)

I agree with the Kepware solution. This is great software I have used the data logging software and providing you can provide the triggers (PLC side) as to when to log the data or on time basis you do not need anything else.