guidance request from experience persons

irfan22in

well it might completly look to you as a foolish thing whih i am going to tel you now.

i am fresh engineer in elctronics and instrumentation.
and i want to make acareer in automation industry.
i applied for h 1 visa work visa to usa .i may be getting it in the month of nov.
before i come t usa to find job i would like to have a substantila knowledge of plcs,scada,networks,troublshooting tehniques and pnematic and hdraulic controls.

i am planing to take traing for 6 months on above topics after i get visa.

but personnaly i would like to have your guidance.i would like to know weather it possible to find a job there in automation industries as people kept telling me that it is not worth right now.

i was wondering to find some one who can give me substantial info about job demand and competition for the jobs.

i hope to hear soon

Watch the online job search sites. Monster.com is probably the largest. Automationtechies.com is specifically for our field, but they're not as well known, so they don't get as many postings. Net-temps.com lists temporary/contract positions. Phil also has a jobs area on this site. A query on your favorite search engine will turn up dozens of others.

The volume of activity and the geographic areas generating the most listings can give you an idea of what to expect, where your best chances are, and what skills are in demand.

In a private email to my message box here on PLCs.net, irfan22in wrote:

hello steve

well steve i am from india. and i am engineer in elctronics and instruemntation.
i have applied for work permit visa to usa and i will be geting it in month of nov.
i want to make a career in auotmation field.
in htis regard i would like to have your advice.

before i come to usa i want to assure myself that there are sufficient jobs in usa in this automation field.

i am planing to take up training programmes at industries onplc(allen bradley,messung,siemens) and drivves
and also on pneumatic and hyraulic controls.

i would lie to know how long it will take for one to develop a good commanding over programming and traouble shhoting of plc and scada .

i hope to hear soon from you.

i hope to have early response to : [email protected]

I would much rather keep this on-forum so that others may benefit.

The time it takes for an individual to become proficient in any field depends on the individual. If you have an aptitude for automation and control, the desire to learn, and an opportunity to practice, you'll do fine. The first two are entirely up to you. The third is only partially up to you.

Neither I, nor anyone else here can tell you how successful your job search is going to be. There have been better times to get a job in the USA in the automation field. There have been worse times. Even in difficult times, someone is hiring. The trouble is, when jobs are scarce, there is more competition for them. What can you offer to a prospective employer that your competition can't?

Take all the courses you can, but remember that there is a limit to what you can learn solely from books and lab excercises. There comes a time when you have to go out into the real world and put the theory into practice.