1747-UIC / Cat 5 Cable? Caution!

There could be a danger using a Cat 5 cable to connect the 1747-UIC to a SLC500 fixed version. I don’t know why , can’t see how, but I believe the cable caused a CPU fault.

Several weeks ago I posted questions concerning the AB 1747-UIC and the necessity of the $50 recommended\required 1747-C13 cable. The cable appeared to be a plain old Cat 5 networking cable.

The dealer did not have a 1747-C13 in stock and I didn’t want to spend the money anyway, so I asked if I could use a plain cable. Several people posted encouraging suggestions and some reported success using a Cat 5 cable. I did not. I concluded (so did the dealer) that the 1747-UIC was bad and ordered a replacement as well as the proper cable.

The new 1747-UIC with the 1747-C13 worked fine. However, as soon as I tried the Cat 5 cable, the instant I plugged it into my 1747-L40C, I developed a CPU fault. Thinking back to the time I was working with the dealer in his office, his SLC500 Trainer (fixed version) also had a fault. I assumed it was a normal “No Program” or other typical training machine problem. I don’t understand it. How can simply plugging in a cable without anything on the other end cause a problem?

To make matters worse, I believe with the fixed version of the SLC500, the only way to clear the fault is with the hand held programmer. I didn’t have one handy.

I was lucky this happened on a trainer PLC on a bench. Imagine shutting down a production line… no don’t.

I ordered the $50 cable. I think those Allen Bradley guys know voodoo or something.

I hope I was able to contribute something to this forum. You guys have always been so generous and helpful to me.

Frank

Just tell me that CAT5 cable wasn't a "cross-over" cable. That might smoke the 1747-UIC, putting +24V from the CPU port on a pin that it shouldn't be on.

I had no trouble connecting to SLC-5/02 and 5/03 controllers with the 1747-UIC and a regular CAT5 patch cable. I can't test on a L40 fixed SLC-500, though... I sold my last one two years ago to somebody for their test bench.

Straight through cable - not even connected

It was a staight through cable - not even connected to the UIC. I know that doesn't make sense. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

That old PLC - did it have a propensity for CPU faults?

I don't have UIC yet, but from my experience with fixed SLC, especially with L40 I had a couple times CPU faulted as soon as I plug in 1747-PIC.
It happened with different SLCs and different PICs, so may be this is a SLC problem.

Also I don't understand, why not crimp own CAT5 cable without power wires?
I think it should be no brown and green/white wires (pin 3 and pin 8).

When I have more confidence, and access to the hand held programmer, I will try it again. When I was trying to get the first UIC to work, I connected a regular cable (cat5) dozens of times. The unit didn't communicate properly but it didn't cause a CPU fault either. Maybe the fault was just a coincidence.

The reason I did not make my own cable with the two wires disconnected? I was doubtful I could have got the wires to go into the proper slots. I have a hard enough time getting the 8 wires to go in the way they should. I guess I'll give it a try though. Why not.

Frank

Finally My Own Answer - Yes It Works

I finally let my common sense over ride my cowardice. I plugged in a plain old Cat5 cable into the PLC, no fault. I plugged the other end into the 1747-UIC, no problem. Started RSLinx and it saw my PLC. Woohoo!

Now I know... A plain old $3 cable will do the job.

Sadly I already ordered the real deal $50 cable from AB. I think it is a safe thing to do. If I was to hook up to my company's PLC with the "unauthorized" cable and a problem developed, I'd be in big trouble. Actually, I'd be in big trouble with the AB cable :)

Frank

You use the DF1 Full Duplex driver with the 1747-UIC. You have to set it for the DF1 parameters it uses; 19200 baud, CRC error checking, and "1770-KF3/1747-KE" device type.

Sometimes the hardest thing is figuring out which COM port the device has been assigned by Windows. Mine always shows up as COM5 (Windows 2000 SP4), but I have a customer who has it change around from COM4, 5, 6, and 7 whenever he reboots, so he has to go check the Windows Hardware Manager every time (Windows XP SP1).

1747-UIC with a 1747-C13 cable:

A 1747-C13 cable is wired straight through, pin to pin.

A Cat 5/e standard patch cable is wired 1 -2, 2 - 1, 3 -6, 6 - 3, 4 - 5, 5 - 4, 7 - 8, 8 - 7

You can now see why you may have problems.
I believe there is a warning bulletin on the AB web site about this.

Best regards

Last edited:
Ken Roach said:
You use the DF1 Full Duplex driver with the 1747-UIC. You have to set it for the DF1 parameters it uses; 19200 baud, CRC error checking, and "1770-KF3/1747-KE" device type.

Sometimes the hardest thing is figuring out which COM port the device has been assigned by Windows. Mine always shows up as COM5 (Windows 2000 SP4), but I have a customer who has it change around from COM4, 5, 6, and 7 whenever he reboots, so he has to go check the Windows Hardware Manager every time (Windows XP SP1).

I can't connect either using the UIC.

I'm going through the exact same thing only with Vista Home Premium, RSLogix 500 v.8 and Linx 2.53 connected to a 5/03.

Vista wont show the comports in device manager. Vista says ports 1 and 2 are already in use. I'm still trying the other ports but nothing so far.

I think your problem is your operating system (Vista Home).
Win XP Pro was recommended for the RSLogix500, RSLinx and not the home edition.
Though someone mentioned on here that RSLinx2.54 supports Vista?
If anyone else has tried it and managed to get it to work, they could chime in here.

It works now. The problem is the manual that comes with the UIC has not been updated since the release of Linx 2.53 so they said at tech support. The correct driver is in the path C:\Program Files\Rockwell..\Linx\1747 UIC. Also in the Linx driver config screen the type should be 1747-UIC instead of the DF1 like the manual said. It grabbed com port 4 by the way.

Connected to SLC 5/03 just fine after that. Logix 500 ver. 8.10 very stable so far with Vista Home Premium.

bkottaras said:
I think your problem is your operating system (Vista Home).
Win XP Pro was recommended for the RSLogix500, RSLinx and not the home edition.
Though someone mentioned on here that RSLinx2.54 supports Vista?
If anyone else has tried it and managed to get it to work, they could chime in here.

ascot01 said:
It works now. The problem is the manual that comes with the UIC has not been updated since the release of Linx 2.53 so they said at tech support. The correct driver is in the path C:\Program Files\Rockwell..\Linx\1747 UIC. Also in the Linx driver config screen the type should be 1747-UIC instead of the DF1 like the manual said. It grabbed com port 4 by the way.

Connected to SLC 5/03 just fine after that. Logix 500 ver. 8.10 very stable so far with Vista Home Premium.

The release notes have a little to say on this

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rockwellautomation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=52339&p_created=1211403339&p_sid=sVV1zrfj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTAwOSwxMDA5JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cmVsZWFzZSBub3RlcyBSc0xpbnggMi41Mw**&p_li=&p_topview=1