Programming Micrologix1400

Micrologix1400

Can someone clear this up for me?

I thought that the RSLOgix500 Micro software would only work with the 1000 and 1100 model, but this Rockwell doc says that the RSLcgix500 micro edition can be used to program the 1400 as well.

Micrologix1400.jpg

There was an "RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite" version, part number 9324-RLM0100, which was free of charge and supported only the MicroLogix 1100 and 1000 controllers.

It's my understanding that they stopped doing support on it a few years ago, so the last version was 8.30, which I think supports firmware up to v10.0 (a new MicroLogix 1100 will have v16 firmware, I think).

It was available via the Product Compatibility and Downloads website, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

I don't think the RSLogix 500 Micro "Starter" and "Developer" editions are sold anymore, either; I think you can buy RSLogix 500 Starter, which covers the MicroLogix and supports offline editing of SLC-500's.

We recently bought RSLogix Micro Developer for a customer. It is like RSLogix 500 Standard except it doesn't do SLCs and only costs $540. Another limitation is that it is node locked so you can't stick the license on a FTA server. We use the 1100 and 1400 a lot for water system radio telemetry and it makes sense to include programming software for customers who will also have a PC based HMI/SCADA.

The last time I ordered it, our distributor messed up the order and got a license for RSLogix 500 Starter, but they got it straightened out, so I am pretty sure it is still a valid product. I wish Rockwell would not make their offerings so stinking complicated.

RANT:
Sometimes I fantasize about rounding up all the marketing geeks and the guys who design the UI for phone apps and beating them with a thorny stick. Same for the *****s who keep adding layers of garbage on top of the nuts and bolts of Windows 10, except those fools need a much more severe beating.

/RANT
Here's the text from my last invoice dated 4/17/2019 with the correct part number:

AB 9324-RLM0800ENE RSLOGIX MICRO 540.000/EA 540.00
DEVELOPER ESD SOFTWARE

If you don't need online editing or cross reference, then the $150 version is okay. Personally, I rely on those two features too much to go without them, it's worth $300 for me to have the address usage info, and especially online editing.

RANT:
Sometimes I fantasize about rounding up all the marketing geeks and the guys who design the UI for phone apps and beating them with a thorny stick. Same for the *****s who keep adding layers of garbage on top of the nuts and bolts of Windows 10, except those fools need a much more severe beating.
/RANT

I couldn't agree more. I'm actually in the process of seeing if I can actually accomplish work on my desktop at home. I had a bunch of stuff open and windows update rebooted while I was in the shower, closing everything. Fortunately, I had saved, but I'm not interested in a rolling-release operating system.

I've settled on Debian with KDE, and there have been a few growing pains, but I was able to get all of my software set up and configured pretty painlessly. VMWare actually runs better and uses significantly less RAM. Compared to Ubuntu and other derivatives, I find Debian to be a very clean release and pretty much all of my function keys / media keys / mouse keys worked right out of the box.