No program in my CompactLogix L45, can't download, HELP

SolarNinja

So we have been slowly building the program to operate our robots for a few months now...everything was going great, we started with RSLogix 5000 v 16, then went to 18, then we had to switch to 20 so one of our robots could talk to the system. And then,

RSLogix started running so slow as to be un useable with the PLC in run mode while connected. It's fine in Prog mode, but once it switches to run it goes to pot. I wanted to put another program into the PLC so I could narrow down the possible problems, and now I can't seem to download a very small, very lightweight program into the PLC. Funny thing is, I can download a backup of the program we have been slowly building since day 1...just cant download anything from scratch it seems...I'm wondering WHAT in GOD'S GOOD WORLD would prevent a program from "taking" in the PLC upon download. Do i need to program some AOI, or clean up warnings/errors before a program will "take"? Keeps saying "There is no program loaded into the controller" right after I download a program to the controller.

We are using Win 7 64 Ultimate, core i5, 4 GB RAM, fully updated AND a Win 7 Home 64, celeron 900 Dell, mostly updated, SAME problems with both machines.

ANY help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

I would start by clearing the controller memory. Remove any CF cards, remove the battery, cycle power.

The IP address will remain the same because it's stored in the 1768-ENBT module.

Is there any chance you've connected equipment to the system that's inducing noise in the communication networks or the DC supply wiring ?

What error message are you receiving when you try to download?
Does your program compile / verify? It sounds like it does not?

Thanks Ken and Mike, you guys are awesome.

Mike: It appears that the program gets downloaded/compiled/verified with no errors in the download process, just errors/warnings in the program. But, then when I try and upload it now it says there is no program in the controller, even after I download the program to the PLC. Are there errors I can have in a program that will prevent the program from being able to transfer into the PLC?

Ken: I have replaced the firmware and power cycled. There is no memory card. Haven't removed the battery yet. I was considering noise from an AC source as a culprit, that's going to be difficult to check.

Okay, more data for you. I did get a new program to download to the PLC. The reason I am trying to do this is because of a much larger issue. Just a few days ago RSLogix 5000 started running REALLY slow when online AND in RUN mode. It's FINE in PROG mode and online, just super slow in RUN. After checking a few things we decided to see if a new program would have the same problem. That is when I had problems downloading. Dunno why that first "new" program wouldn't download, all it was was our 1768/1769 bus and a few equipment modules. But anywho, I made a new "new" program and that downloaded just fine. Weird, huh?

Also, the new "new" program does NOT run slow while online in RUN mode. But I'm thinking it will have the same problem once it gets all of the AOI,tasks,I/O and equipment modules programmed.

The next thing I was going to do is put the original program back into the PLC and check system resource graph while in RUN. PLC processor usage was at less than 30% last I checked, but I suppose that number can fluctuate to a certain degree.

So what I'm REALLY trying to figure out is why RSLogix is running so slow in RUN mode online. Again, it only runs slow with the old program in the PLC...with a brand new program in there it works just fine.

Many thanks!

Okay, I feel like a moron, PROFIBUS was cycling once every 10ms, so it's not hard to understand why the PLC's CPU was at its max. We changed it to cycle every 20ms and all of a sudden our CPU usage dropped from 100% to 50%. We are again on the road.

Thanks for your help!

-Have you tried turning it off and back on again?