RSLogix5000 Online Edit - Add Timer

Secpcb

I'm new to RSLogix 5000, been using 5 & 500 for years, and have a question about online edits before I screw up the equipment.

Doing an online edit, can a new timer tag be added to add a new time delay on to an input? I know a rung and items can be added but when I add a TON, it says there isn't such a tag already, and there are no unused timer tags in the program.

I am used to 5 & 500 where you can add an unused timer that is already in the T4 file & been skipped but not create additional timers, ladders or files doing online edits if all the timers in the file are used.

you CAN create a new timer - even while you're in the Run mode ...

just give it a name (example: MY_TIMER) to create/assign/add the timer ... note that you can't have spaces in the name - so just use an UNDERSCORE character instead ...

Ron,

I did try that & it showed that the tag didn't exist. Probaly have to go into the tags & add it there first? That's what I didn't want to try if it was wrong & cause a problem with the running equipment - my boss wouldn't appreciate the downtime.

Right click on your tag and you should see an option like "Add new Your_Tag". Click on that to create that as a new tag. The next dialog that appears should default to the tag type known as "Timer" accept those settings and then try to verify again.

go see Ethel ...

Probaly have to go into the tags & add it there first?

no, it's easier than that ... see if this helps ...

TIP: if you do it this way you won't even have to worry about the spaces in the name ... the system will automatically add the UNDERSCORE characters for you ...

new_timer.PNG

Last edited:
I was afraid to go into the tags & create it there, just adding it at the timer instruction makes more sense.

well, you probably already understand this next part – but just to be sure:

the new MY_TIMER tag actually WILL be added into the tags listing ... it's just that using the method that I've shown is USUALLY the easiest method of getting the new tag inserted there ...

specifically, the new MY_TIMER tag does NOT actually exist only at the "timer level" – it's now in the tags listing ...

like I said – you probably already knew that – but the way you phrased your last comment might have left some room for confusion ...

welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
Being the kind of person that does everything wrong, I would like to add a couple more points that you can avoid.

I don't know how this pertains to a timer, but if you create a new tag and you give it the wrong data type, you can't change the data type on line, but have to go off line.

but, if you highlight the old tag and erase it, you can insert a new tag with the data type you want... and you can do that online

I don't think erasing it at the instruction edit does anything but remove it from that instruction... I think it still exists, but you can continue your online edit.

Being the kind of person that does everything wrong, I would like to add a couple more points that you can avoid.

I don't know how this pertains to a timer, but if you create a new tag and you give it the wrong data type, you can't change the data type on line, but have to go off line.

but, if you highlight the old tag and erase it, you can insert a new tag with the data type you want... and you can do that online

I don't think erasing it at the instruction edit does anything but remove it from that instruction... I think it still exists, but you can continue your online edit.

You can't delete a tag from any of the tag databases if it is referenced in any program code.

If you typed the name of the tag wrong when you created it, it's not a problem, because you can simply rename the tag....

Either go into the tag database, and choose the "edit" tab at the bottom then you can change the name, even online! When working in any tag database view, the rule is "if it's white, you can change it..."

Or right-click the tag in the logic view and choose "properties", and rename it through the tag properties dialog that opens.

Now the hard part - if a tag has the wrong data-type, you can't change that online at all - the only way is to create a new tag with a slightly different name, edit the code to look at the new tag, then you can delete the old tag. You are then free to change the name of the the new tag to the name of the one you deleted...

Last edited:
. . .
Now the hard part - if a tag has the wrong data-type, you can't change that online at all - the only way is to create a new tag with a slightly different name, edit the code to look at the new tag, then you can delete the old tag. You are then free to change the name of the the new tag to the name of the one you deleted...

Can't you delete the tag first (after removing all references to it)?

Then keep the name you really, really like and make it a new tag of the correct type?

Can't you delete the tag first (after removing all references to it)?

Then keep the name you really, really like and make it a new tag of the correct type?

Of course, but it's easier to keep the existing logic in place on the old tag, then you only have to edit it, rather than putting it back.

You could cut the rungs that reference it (ctrl-x), delete the tag, create the new tag with the same name and the correct data-type, then paste (ctrl-v) the rungs back in.... {edit: not sure if Cut is a valid operation online, and can't check right now}

There's several ways this cat can die, despite them having nine lives...

Last edited: