Videojet Excel 170i

Captain, I work for a company that makes ink jet printers (not VideoJet) and I can tell you that the ink makes a huge difference. As has been stated above, 3rd party ink is often the cause for printer problems. It is such an issue, that it is one of the first questions I ask, or thing I look for when there is an odd problem with one of our printers.

None of the companies that I know of have a way for the printers to reboot, or bring themselves back online. They should only fault out when a problem has occurred that could damage the printer if not corrected (usually something has stopped the ink from flowing correctly, or ink going where its not supposed to). If you think I might be able to help with anything, please ask.

Videojet Issues

I have been working on the Videojet Excel printers since 1990. We specialize in Videojet repair. Although we do not sell fluids for the printers I can only recommend 2 companies for fluid. That would be Videojet and Inkjet Inc. I don't know what type of printer gives a "RIP" fault. It is not from an Excel. We are alway happy to try to help people with problems. You can contact us at videojetink.com.

We (they now) have switched to http://www.markem-imaje.us/ and tossed out the VideoJets they had about 10 of them... they are much happier with the Imaje's printers

The worse thing that ever happened on the VJ was ink in the air side of the system, two days to fix, I hated working on them...

I have been fighting all of my videojet 170i printers ever since I pulled them out of storage. We had not ever used them prior as we bought them at auction and stored them.

In my opinion, they are TOO smart. When they are on, they work great! However, any little mishap according to the programming, and they auto-shutdown. I have been throught all the menus. I have completely rebuilt the inking systems from the reservoir to the output tip. I get my settings just as I should with alignments, pressures, and dot distances under a microscope. I constantly go through proper flushing procedures and recalibrations.

Is there any way to program (or dumb-down) these machines to auto-restart and/or to widen the boundaries of shutdown?
Hello dear can you supply electronics schematics or refer me to an electronics schematics supplier for VIDEOJET P/N 375080 REV GH and VIDEOJET P/N: 379355 REV AH? They come from INK JET MARKING MACHINE brand VIDEOJET EXCEL 2000 P/N: 390540-52 .

Thanks

We (they now) have switched to http://www.markem-imaje.us/ and tossed out the VideoJets they had about 10 of them... they are much happier with the Imaje's printers

The worse thing that ever happened on the VJ was ink in the air side of the system, two days to fix, I hated working on them...
Hello dear can you supply electronics schematics or refer me to an electronics schematics supplier for VIDEOJET P/N 375080 REV GH and VIDEOJET P/N: 379355 REV AH? They come from INK JET MARKING MACHINE brand VIDEOJET EXCEL 2000 P/N: 390540-52 .

Thanks

I have been working on the Videojet Excel printers since 1990. We specialize in Videojet repair. Although we do not sell fluids for the printers I can only recommend 2 companies for fluid. That would be Videojet and Inkjet Inc. I don't know what type of printer gives a "RIP" fault. It is not from an Excel. We are alway happy to try to help people with problems. You can contact us at videojetink.com.

Thanks

I have used many different printers in my time and with all that experience I definitely recommend using the recommended ink even if it costs more.
One of the biggest problems I came across was on Linx printers. We had two types of ink, one for standard film packaging and one for packages that were put through a pasteurisation process (requires an ink that does not disappear in the process). The common problem was that if the machine setter used the wrong solvent i.e. solvent for the pasteurisation with normal ink the ink used to crystallise in the print head etc. This required an expensive maintenance callout so the correct solvent must be used that matches the ink, also we have had problems with so-called compatibles they can be more trouble than they are worth. The same applies to many other systems. Domino with ink jet cartridges, tried to use compatibles, caused various issues, poor quality print, sometimes would not recognise cartridge. ICE thermal film printers the compatible ribbons had a slightly larger diameter core and caused film feed errors, poor quality print and frequent snaps. so be warned.