Rockwell Custom Motor Files format, third party motor

The last time I had custom motor files made, they were done by Rockwell in the UK. The person that made the files is close to retirement but, as far as I know, he still works for Rockwell.

When I last inquired: if Rockwell produced a suitable motor that you could have used then they would charge to create the custom motor file. I don't know if Rockwell still offer this service but I may be about to find out as we've just received an order for another machine like the one that needed the last custom files.

Nick

I would be ever so grateful if you could find out if Rockwell UK still does this. The company I am working for signed all the papers for Rockwell US to be a custom motor manufacturer so they would share their information with us but the only person they have that knows anything about blob file or .cmf files sent me a write up on how to program the Stegmann encoder using Hyperface DSL which I can not use. My Stegmann encoders are Hyperface. Plus I had already figured out how to retrieve the extended data for my custom motor and load it into a new Stegmann encoder.
I just want to know the layout of the blob file. I ran across tech note #731950 that talks about the blob file not having the correct data for a Rockwell motor and it showed where in the file to correct the data, so obviously Rockwell knows the layout but I think getting the nuclear codes would be easier then getting Rockwell to share the data.
I have been trying to work with them since 2016 and still the only knowledge I have is what I have been able to put together myself. I am not a motor person nor am I am electronic engineer so it has been frustrating to say the least. ;) so I appreciate any input I can get!! Terri

If there is a requirement for a special motor that is not in the Rockwell range or not in the encompass partner range and is needed for an application that Rockwell PLC and Drives are controlling then it is possible to have the custom motor file created. This may only apply to new projects where they are selling the control gear and they may charge for doing it.

Nick

Hi ExplorerOL !

I am working with some motors like this, I can now read and rewrite the information into the encoder memory. But I still don't know that it means.

I read that you solved how the data is stored and what does it means. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance !

Miguel Gonzalez

I know these posts are old but I am trying to decode the Blob file for a specific application. Can anyone help me with the Blob file format. I have about 30% of it done just having ahard time with the rest.