Simatic CP343-1IT webserver problems

jvdcande

Recently I acquired a new communication processor from Siemens. This CP 343-1 IT processor gives us the IT-like possibilities to communicate (webserver, e-mail, ethernet speed).

I was able to let the S7-300 send an e-mail, but I can't get access to the webserver. The docs are not clear (it's Siemens - I learned to live with it) about what is necessary regarding settings for the webserver.

Has anybody an idea? Any help is welcome!

Thanks

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere

Jean Pierre,

It's not that difficult at all.
I did it about six months ago and here's short what I remember of it.
Just give your CP card an IP address using the Siemens Hardware-Configuration. Take a look at the permissions ( i thaught that by default webserver is general accesible ).
Connect the processor with a networtk with the same IP-range and netmask.
Point your webbrowser to that IP-address and you'll see some default things. To add or delete webpages you can use the FTP protocol. Making interactive webpages to - for instance making attractive visualisations - can best be done using JAVA. You'll find also information about this on the default webpages.

Good Luck
& Westvloamse Complimenten :D

Stefaan Van Eenoo

It's possible the webserver is turned off due to pending litigation, thanks to your "Transparent Factory" friends over at Schneider.

I'm only being a little bit sarcastic; three Ethernet modules from a certain Milwaukee manufacturer have been equipped with customizable web servers for two years, but the functions are switched off in firmware because of the Schneider lawsuits that claim their ownership of the idea of an embedded webserver.

Spectrum Controls had a module-mounted webserver three years ago, and it's been marked "coming soon" ever since because they don't have enough lawyers to fight off the Schnieder goons who came collecting.

Stefaan, was yours a general-release module or some kind of beta or test unit ? Maybe Schneider (and their proxies called Solaia) are only pressing this lawsuit in the USA.

Ken,

I've been playing with three or four of those cards so far and to my best knowledge it should have been general-release modules... However, sometimes you never know it with Siemens ;).
I've still one laying on my desk and I'll give it a look next time I'm in the office.

Kind Regards,
Stef

Siemens is still marketing the CP343-1IT with details about its web capabilities.
Also, there is the CP243-1IT for S7-200 and CP443-1IT for S7-400, both with web capabilities.

Doesnt seem that they are being held back by Schneider. Maybe they have paid them for the rights to do it.

Guest,

as far as I know that's not possible, at least not with my module. It's even restricted to an earlier version of Java, I believe V1.1. Maybe with a more recent module you'll have more luck.

For those who helped out back in 2002: sorry I didn't reply earlier. Things were pretty hectic around her those days and I had forgotten completely about this thread. The student who was doing a project did a fine job: we learned a lot about that module, what could and couldn't be done. One of the things I've learned is that when you're using a proxy to get on the internet, you have to exclude the IP address of the CP in the proxy. That was the problem why I couldn't see any of it's pages.

Anyway, thanks everybody and sorry I'm late!

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:

...when you're using a proxy to get on the internet, you have to exclude the IP address of the CP in the proxy.

Hi, I am a student. During my semestre of practice I´m working on a project that uses a CP343-1 IT for a CPU315 as a web-server. With Java I wrote different applets to extract data from the cpu and visualize it on a browser. It was a very interesting job being involved with HTML, JAVA and Step7 in one project. The results are quite satisfying although there is still a lot that can be improved.

The CP343 is still running on our Intranet. Therefore it is no problem accessing the webpages. Due to restricitons of the company I am practicing at, I have no possibilities to acces the CP from outside of the Intranet. So I would like to ask you, if you have any hints or advices about troubles and problems that can appear while trying to connect the CP343 to the Internet. jvdcande, could you explain what you meant with your statement above, as it is not clear to me?

Thank you very much for your help.

Greetings

Simatic CP343-1 IT Webserver

Hi,
Can I ask a question about this thread?
I am trying to configure the cp343 so I can access it through a webbrowser. I have susccesfully transfered data betwen two cp units using a crossover ethernet cable and everything is working correctly. ie data is been sent from one cp unit and read by the other one. However if I type in the IP address in the browser address bar eg "http://140.80.0.1/index.htm," ("" to prevent url being shown)
I cannot see the default web page. has anyone any advice or step by step instructions or things I should be checking?

Thanks for any advice, tips or suggestions given.

Edgar

MiniMerv,

in my classroom there's only one PC connected to the internet. All PC's are networked however. On the PC connected to the internet is a smaal programm running called a proxy server. Every other PC is told to gain access to the internet over this proxy server (called proxy for short). So if you put in a URL on any PC this URL is sent straight to the proxy server which gets the info and delivers it back to the calling PC. Now, since teh 343-1IT is not on the outside of this system, but directly on the network, you have to tell the browser not to ask the info over the proxy, but directly on the local network. This is what is called "excluding an address".

Edgar (aka jenem),

are you sure you didn't name that page index.html? It could mean a lot of a difference if you did. I for one never bothered to give in the name of the main page, I normally just enter the IP-address and then go on from there.

For the moment I'm not at work, but I'll look into any possible problems as soon as I'm back in.

Kind regards,

What Jean Pierre mentioned is in "Tools-->Internet Options", on the "Connections" tab (assuming you're using IE). Click on "LAN Settings", then the "Advanced" button to get to this screen:
[attachment]
Add your URL in the "Exceptions" box at the bottom

By the way, most browsers will automatically default to an "index.html" page, so you should be able to type just the URL.

Can you ping 140.80.0.1? From a DOS prompt, type "Ping 140.80.0.1" and see if you get a reply.

Also, it is case-sensitive, so if your page is named Index.htm, then index.htm will not work.

beerchug

-Eric

proxy.jpg

Hi Eric,
Sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes I tried pinging from a msdos screen and I couldnt get a reply.

Is it possible that I am not actually entering the correct ip address of the cp343 unit?
I thought the CP unit would have a default ip address without me having to set one up ie the one shown in the ip address box below the mac address.

Is there a way I can check the cp343-1 it ip address from the laptop ?

Do I have to set up the laptop as "other station" on the network for it to comminicate properly ?

I'm in university tomorrow to investigate further.

Is it possible that someone could send me a file of a basic S7-300 with the CP343-1 IT configured to communicate with a laptop or PC over a ethernet crossover cable so I can check my settings Please?

Should the network be connected as in the picture attached ?

Thanks for any advice given.

Ps when I click the addressing>browse network button it gives a DLC protocol error. I have had the protocol installed on the computer but should you need it if you are just communicating over HTTP ?

Hi all just an update.
I have been trying to solve why I cant ping the CP Unit from a msdos window I. This is what I have found out

When assigning a ethernet address using the assign ethernet address button (or selecting browse network) a error message pops up saying DLC protocol is not installed.
I know it is(I can see it in the network protocol listing)

This must be why I cant see an IP address on the CP unit - it hasnt been assigned.

Now I have to find out why the DLC protocol is not being seen. I think its something to do with the PG/PC setup.

Its difficult to try things when you haven't full access to the PC !!
(Student restrictions and all that!!)

Any tips anyone ??

Is it possible there is a workaround??

just an update !!
It seems that I need siemens softnet to set the PG/PC interface to use s7online>ethernet connection.
This connection is used to set the CP343-1 IT IP address over an ethernet connection.

This is what was giving a DLC protocol error.

I am hoping that Softnet will be installed on the University computer so I can finish my project ( I only want to see the default page stored on the CP343-1 IT :) !!)
Jenem

It seems that I need siemens softnet to set the PG/PC interface to use s7online>ethernet connection.
To just view the HTML-pages you don't need the S7online over ethernet connection. The IP adres of the CP can be set in the STEP7 programming software via hardware configuration. I have done a project together with a student, we were able to make pages in the CP and view them on all connected PC's but never used Siemens Softnet in this proces. I don't think I have it here anyway.

If the CP is brand new, all you have to do is set the IP-addres as mentioned above and browse to that adres without even entering anything more than the IP-addres. If that doesn't work, check your browser settings because that's the reason for the problems, not the CP.

Kind regards,