A question for Goody about Gx Developer.

ian.smith7

Hi Goody,
I noticed in a reply you posted recently that you run GX Developer on XP.
I was considering upgrading from GPPwin to GX Dev but the RS catalouge notes that it is not XP compatable. I would be interested to hear your opinions on the following.

Have you experienced any problems running it on XP?
Is it reliable installed on XP?
Do you think the upgrade from GPPwin to GX Dev is worth doing?

cheers ian.

I used to run GPPWin on XP Home, GX Developer on XP Home and XP Pro...
All Mitsubishi softeware I tried so far worked on XP. If there was a problem (like with 800GOT software which is REALLY old) it is communication related (you can still edit projects etc.).
I didn't try to run in compatibility mode since customer upgraded to 900 series HMI.
I think same applies to MEDOC but as far as I know all Windows versions of the Mitsubishi PLC do work with XP as well - even though they don't explicitly say so....

Last edited:
GX Developer seems to work better on XP than it does 2000. When using the USB port on the Q series PLC with XP there are no connection problems (with 2000 you have to reconnect the USB if the PLC is reset).

and just to confirm; I too have run GX dev on xp home and xp pro with not the slightest trouble.

I did however, have trouble with gppwin. Only in transparent mode through E series hmi's and A series plcs. It was one of the reasons I upgraded - connection kept getting lost only on the above configuration. It was heart stopping when doing online changes and suddenly losing connection while it was transferring the new code.

Is it worth upgrading? That would depend on what plc's or cpu's you intend to program.

As I remember, gppwin would not recognise correctly a FX2n.

GX developer will program all that gppwin will, plus all the latest models - you never know what you might need to connect to in the future :)