Barcode Scanners and ControlLogix

Don_Dubé

Hello everyone,

We are trying to connect a SICK CLV480 Barcode scanners to a ControlLogix PLC over Ethernet. According to Rockwell support the device must support the Ethernet CIP protocol (Control and Information Protocol) but the data sheet on the show the CIP as one of the supported protocol. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to connect a CLV480 to a ControlLogix PLC via Ethernet?

Serial would be an alternative. Any help or application examples would be greatly appreciated.

Don

I just did a quick look-up of the message instruction in RSLogix5000. While there were other protocols available, I didn't see anything that would support any protocols other than the standard AB family: block transfers, CIP, etc. There doesn't appear to be a generic ASCII data over TCP/IP option.

You're probably going to have to go with the serial data model. Be careful though. I know the CLX can do ASCII read/writes, but I'm not sure how to implement them in the same program. I'd ask the throbbing brain here in PLCs.net if that's possible and/or sane!

AK

We read SICK AutoIdent scanners in my plant but we use the serial port on SLCs. I've not tried them with E-net comms or with CLogix. I'd be glad to try to help if you go serial.

Barcode scanner - PLC

I contacted SICK AutoIdent and they mentioned that they are working on the second revision of the CMF Ethernet module for the CLV480 barcode scanner which will be CIP compliant. They could not give me a time frame and until then I will have to use a serial protocol to connect my barcode scanner to the PLC which should be fine.

Can anyone direct me on how to connect my barcode (SICK CLV480) to a PLC (ControlLogix)

Thanks

Don

Prosoft

Don,
Try ProSoft. They make comm modules for AB, they will have a solution
(will not be cheap!).
I have had a customer who was using Ethernet/IP for barcoding.
The bar code was transmitting 15 characters, due to the fact that ethernet was being bogged down most of the time it took
250 ms to complete the transmission. Too long for the application.
He used TomanTron, Inc. MuxiPort on the RS-232 port and at 19200 Baud he was getting data in to the PLC in 10 ms.

I have done this on a few jobs recently.

You can use a Wago 750-841 Programmable Field Controller (PFC) with a serial module. The Wago PFC supports CIP I/O connections. This means that there is no messaging, the PFC looks like ethernet based I/O. The PFC has excellent serial handling capabilities (easiest to do this with structured text language, looks like BASIC) and plenty of memory if you need to buffer data.

Darren

Interesting. So with the Wago module we can connect any serial device and it will appear as IO in CL5000? Any comments.
Regards Alan case

I am not into ControlLogix, but I implemented a system with Sick CLV430 barcode scanners, connected to a Siemens S7 PLC using Profibus DP (CMF profibus module).

Regards

Connect Bardcode scanners to ControlLogix

******* just recently released an easy to configure product which would allow connecitivity of almost any RS-232/422/485 device to an Allen Bradley PLC, Siemens PLC, or Modicon PLC. The product is called DeviceMaster UP, and is available with 1 or 4 serial ports. All software selectable, ONE part number lets you choose your configuration and protocol. for more information, call me at 763-494-4144 or visit www.*******.com.

Jason Reiling

Sorry Alan, some how I missed your comment for more info.

You configure the Wago PFC (programmable field controller) as a "ETHERNET-MODULE" - Generic Ethernet Module. It will then look like generic attached Ethernet/IP I/O. You configure the size in words to transfer to/from the Wago PFC. There is some CIP messages to configure on the Wago side so that on startup of the Wago you setup the process image table to match the size you declared in RSLogix 5000 software.

The Wago is 32-bit based processor & is fairly fast (around L55 processor speed). It is inexpensive so there are some ease of use features that you may consider lacking. I personally do not like the ladder editor, but the structured text works very well. The applications we use the Wago for is usually better suited to the structured text language any way, so the poor ladder editor is not that big of a deal. The editor and runtime engine is based on the CodeSys kernel. So if you are familiar with Beckhoff, Indramat, ABB, etc you have probably worked with the IDE before anyway.

I looked at the DeviceMaster, but I can configure a more functional system for less money with the Wago 750-841. Especially if you are only looking for CIP I/O capability.

Darren

Last edited:
DeviceMaster UP

While the DeviceMaster UP may in fact have a higher MSRP price, it is likely less expensive from any of our Industrial Distributors, more powerful, without any licensing fees, and easier to use than a ProSoft module. It also does not have the same 250ms transmission time. A roundtrip can be expected to take less than 20ms. The DeviceMaster, unlike the Wago, does not require any programming. It has passed internal ODVA certifiication testing to work specifically as a serial to EtherNet/IP device as well, rather than requiring customization. It is designed to work out of the box to provide serial to EtherNet/IP connectivity, specifically with products like barcode scanners. In fact it is a field-proven solution which has already been tested with several manufacturers scanners including Sick, Datalogic, and Microscan, and many vision systems as well.

Sample programs for RSLogix5000 are also included so there is no need to start from scratch. The rungs of logic can be copied directly into your existing PLC programs. And if you ever have a need to connect to a PLC5, SLC 5/05, or even PROFINET, the same product can communicate to any of these simply by flashing the firmware of your choice (included on the CD).

I may have forgotten to mention earlier that all of *******'s products carry a 30-day money back guarantee, unlike carrying a non-cancelable, non-returnable requirement. In fact, if you are interested in testing one, I can send you one free of charge for 30 days for you to test and evaluate. As always, our technical support is completely free of charge.

Again, I can be reached at 763-494-4144 for additional information.

Regards,

Jason Reiling

Hmm... Somehow that sounds almost like an advertisement & I believe we have read and gotten your point is a couple of other posts. Also, since most people here program stuff they might like to know about all options, even if it requires programming. Sometimes it is easier to parse the data at the point of entry.

I apologize for my last post sounding too "salesy"... really (Thank you Darren). I confess to being a bit biased with my reply. When called on the carpet for ease in installation, cost, performance, reliability, etc... My intentions were to shed some light on our own testing.