SLC 5/05, PV 550 on DH-485 to CompactLogix and PVP 7 Std Ethernet

bhedding024

Working on an incremental upgrade of existing SLC 500's and Panelview 550's over DH-485, to ComapctLogix and PVP 7's over ethernet. My test setup is a SLC 500 rack with a 5/05 (OS501). Channel 1 is DH-485 connected to a 1761 NET-AIC. Channel 0 is ethernet. The PV 550 (2711-K5A2) is connected to DH-485 via 1747-AIC. The CompactLogix (1769-L16ER-BB1B) and PVP 7 (2711P-T7C21D8S) are both connected to the ethernet network.

I can set up a message in the CompactLogix to write values input via the PVP 7 to an address in the 5/05. However, if I manually change the value in the 5/05, the value is overwritten by the existing message. Do I only want to send the message on a change of data and otherwise just read? Set up a read / write flip-flop? My problem is figuring a way to read and write from either PLC / HMI system. Maybe there is an easier way, I don't know. Any thoughts or advice on a different approach would be appreciated. Thanks.

Somethings not adding up. A SLC5/05 doesn’t have any DH ports, only Ethernet and DF1 and channel 0 on all SLC’s is always DF1 (channel 1 on an SLC5/05 is the Ethernet port). Having said that, I’m not clear what it is you are asking? Typically you don’t message to a PV the PV pulls data from a PLC/PAC.

Somethings not adding up. A SLC5/05 doesn’t have any DH ports, only Ethernet and DF1 and channel 0 on all SLC’s is always DF1 (channel 1 on an SLC5/05 is the Ethernet port). Having said that, I’m not clear what it is you are asking? Typically you don’t message to a PV the PV pulls data from a PLC/PAC.
I think he just got his channel numbers swapped. CH0 (RS232 serial port) can be set up for DH-485 protocol.

I think we might need a sketch of the devices and how they are set up, but it appears there is a compactlogix writing to the SLC with a PV7 connected to the Compactlogix.

There are multiple ways to skin this cat. One way would be to use separate tags for read and write addresses in all 3 devices. This means adding logic to the SLC to complete the turnaround and may also mean that handshake and notification bits are required (but I have zero experience with the new Panelviews).

Okie you are correct. Add to that the PV 550 that is connected to the SLC as well. In the actual application, there are 6 different PV550's one on each bottling line that select a product (integer) from a common PLC. I want to incrementally replace the DH-485 PV 550's with PVP 7's. .