Shorted Branch detected RS5000

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I an editing a program pulled from a running machine and noticed a lot of Warnings "Shorted branch detected" I am pretty new to 5000 and have used 500 a lot. in 500 I would need to create an"Always False Input" to short around a bit for it to pass. I also see "Duplicate Destructive Bit Reference Detected"
Warnings. I asked the OEM but got shrugged off. Is there a concern.
At least it shows no Errors when Verifying Project
Just wondering

The "Duplicate Destructive Bit Reference Detected" would have me concerned but if the OEM is still responsible for the machine operation there is not much you can do. I don't deliver code with any of those warnings and most of my customers won't accept it either.

The shorted branch is exactly what it sounds like, its just a warning to let you know its there.

As for the Duplicate Destructive Bits, when doing Machine State programming, you don't necessarily scan the whole program. Lots of people use OTE's for stuff to turn on instead of Latch and Unlatch, this will cause that. So you could have 2 OTE's for a bit and only ever have one of them scanned because the JSR's for those have conditions.

I have seen this in the past where shorted branches and destructive bit are detected because the OEM has a test routine that they used while building the equipment and used during startup to simulate conditions. The key was after they were done, they just stopped scanning the test routines and left the test code in the plc.

I have also seen where the code is written so that if features are added to the equipment after startup, the code is already in place and just needs to be enabled or the shorted branch needs to be removed.

Best thing to do is investigate them and see what function they serve.

Kevin

Thanks All, I'm Sure that's what it is
I added a small routine in the program and had to scroll through all while verifying mine and was curious