connect an encoder to omron plc

Need more information.
What is the "output type" of the encoder?
Pulse train, Grey Code or Line Driver?
These all require different types of interface and logic.
What Omron plc are you using?

The more information you provide, the better your chances of getting a solution for you problem.

Can you provide the manufacturer and part number of the encoder.
It appears to be a pulse train type unit.
The issue now is if it is a "voltage" or "open collector" type output.
This will determine the "Common" connection on the plc input.
Also, what it the complete part number for the CJ1M?

Please gtsuport

can you tell me the difference between the "output types " of the encoder Pulse train and Grey Code and Line Driver?

and what is the advantge and the applications for each one ??

thanks

Last edited:
Omron encoder input.

See picture
Encoder_input.jpg

Hope this helps.

Are you using a high speed counter input card or just wiring into normal inputs? If normal inputs they are probably too slow to work properly.

The standard filter on inputs is 32ms if I remember correctly. This can be shortened but you also have to consider input delay times, scan times, pulse rate, pulse width etc etc if using a normal input card.

Good points BobB (as always).
That is why I asked for the full cpu part number.

TamNguyen, I believe your picture applies to the CPU2x series cpu's only. We still need to verify which unit we are talking about.

hadiahmadi5, we still need you to supply more information to properly answer your question.

BobB said:
Are you using a high speed counter input card or just wiring into normal inputs? If normal inputs they are probably too slow to work properly.

BobB - FYI

The standard filter on inputs is 32ms if I remember correctly. This can be shortened but you also have to consider input delay times, scan times, pulse rate, pulse width etc etc if using a normal input card.

The CJ1M series have built in I/O with the capability of 2 high speed counters. Max speed is 60kHz with 24VDC inputs and 60 or 100kHz with line drivers.

The filter settings [On time constant] for CJ1M onboard I/O apply ONLY if they are used as standard I/O. If configured for High Speed Counter or Interrupt Input the filters DO NOT apply.

There are some restrictions on which onboard I/O can/cannot be used based on the high speed counter configuration in use.

The CJ1M series have built in I/O with the capability of 2 high speed counters
Only one model does - I had the impression he was trying to use normal I/O but has not bothered to come back with the model number of the PLC.

ALL models of the CJ1M series [CPU21/22 and 23] have the built-in [onboard] I/O capable of being configured for HSC/Interrupt/Fast Capture/Simple Motion/PWM/Pulse Output functions.

BITS N BYTES Posted
ALL models of the CJ1M series [CPU21/22 and 23] have the built-in [onboard] I/O capable of being configured for HSC/Interrupt/Fast Capture/Simple Motion/PWM/Pulse Output functions.

The CJ1M series ALSO includes the CPU11/12 and 13 units. These DO NOT have built in I/O. I was trying to determine which unit the original poster was using.