Analysis of future trends!! try this

stephen

i have been asked to;
produce an analysis of future trends in the nature of plc, including the impact of local/wide area networks, control software and smart sensor developement!!!! :(
now that sounds tough to me me. Any chance of some pointers from people who know plc's :)

The future seems to have already caught up.
The things you are talking about are already here, although we may get wider area networks and smarter sensors.

All of these have resulted in your control system becoming more dispersed.

We are now running less cable, and have better diagnostics before. When the systems are well designed by people who know what they are doing, you get a lower cost system that is easier to repair and faster to commission.
When designed by idiots you get a bigger, more expensive mess that is less likely to even work and more likely to send people bankrupt.

Doug

Futurist

If you want a source of future trends, google "Jim Pinto".
He's not usually right, but at least he's thinking about the stuff.

Good luck with the rest of your HNC course.