FactoryTalk View ME - Recipe Plus Configuration

drawson

I'm having trouble understanding a concept with the recipe manager concept in FactoryTalk View. Let's use the common example of baking bread.

So your recipe is for example "White Bread". To make this product there are multiple ingredients(parameters). For example one ingredient may be "White Flour". So in the Recipe Plus Editor I would enter the ingredients then In the Data Set1 field I would but in this example the quantity of flour required then in the Tag Set1 field I would map to the PLC tag that I want to set.

What I don't understand is the next tab on the editor for Units. A unit as I understand it is a pairing of a Data Set with a Tag Set. What is the purpose of defining a unit? What would you use multiple units for?

An example of using units is let say you have 5 different mixers and you want each mixer to be able to run independent recipes of one another. Each mixer would then be assing a different set of units.

Be careful using recipe plus objects, most of the data they store cannot be accessed in any other fashion. Especially strings. So if you named your recipe, and have to go to a different screen with say mixer status. You have no way of displaying what recipe is running.

Couldn't you add an ingredient to your recipe with the name of the recipe. Then when you load the recipe write that value to an HMI tag. That tag could then be used on any screen with a text indicator to display the name of the recipe.

Couldn't you add an ingredient to your recipe with the name of the recipe. Then when you load the recipe write that value to an HMI tag. That tag could then be used on any screen with a text indicator to display the name of the recipe.

I will have to try that. Although the user would have to input the recipe name twice. I'm not sure if it will let you input a string where a numerical value would normally go.

I actually contacted Rockwell about this and they told me there was no way to get the recipe name string to a PLC tag. The string must be stored locally on the HMI.

You're right about having to enter the recipe name twice but you can store string data in a recipe ingredient.

I'm also struggling with another issue maybe you can help me with. In my recipe I have several ingredients. One of these ingredients is driven by specification for a particular product. Is there any way to make an individual recipe ingredient read-only.

You're right about having to enter the recipe name twice but you can store string data in a recipe ingredient.

I'm also struggling with another issue maybe you can help me with. In my recipe I have several ingredients. One of these ingredients is driven by specification for a particular product. Is there any way to make an individual recipe ingredient read-only.

I'm not aware of a way to do that with settings. You would have to display the derived ingredient value somewhere else.

You could try to use the status value the recipe plus engine outputs to manipulate the "read only" tag. When a download is completed move the specified value back into the tag. Something along those lines. It will be difficult to display a read only tag in the recipe plus object though. It is really made for input values only.

Hi All,

I have also lite problem with recipe in FTView.
I don't realy know, how to make additional DataSets. Now I have only two DataSet so I can only do a two different recipes.

Can anybody knows solution?

Hi All,

I have also lite problem with recipe in FTView.
I don't realy know, how to make additional DataSets. Now I have only two DataSet so I can only do a two different recipes.

Can anybody knows solution?

As a general reminder for anyone reading this, FT View RecipePlus is a little bit backwards in my experience. A recipe is just a list of ingredients. The "Data Set" of that recipe is what actually details what is being produced and how much of each ingredient. The only way to access the "Data Set" is to attach it to a "Unit".

There are two ways to add more data sets. To do it from FTView click on your recipe under RecipePlus Editor. Goto the "Ingredients" tab, then at the top of the screen, next to file and edit, you can access Recipe->Insert Data Set. Then you have to go to the "Unit" tab and bind the data set to a unit.

I also believe that you can do it from the runtime if you have an "Upload and Create" recipe button. This should create a new data set that is paired with whatever unit (and tag set) that is currently active.

Hope this helps.

Be careful using recipe plus objects, most of the data they store cannot be accessed in any other fashion. Especially strings. So if you named your recipe, and have to go to a different screen with say mixer status. You have no way of displaying what recipe is running.

I know this post is a number of years old but I am running into the problem now and I was wondering if any solution or work-around has been found.

I got a RecipePlus Selector, RecipePlus Table, and many of the other buttons like Restore, Download, and the others. I use the RecipePlus Selector and Restore button to select the Unit and get the Ingredients in the RecipePlus Table.

But I need to switch to another screen, a status screen just like the quoted post is talking about, where the operator will spend most of his time and I need the Unit to be displayed there.

Has anyone found a way to get it into a string Tag?

Thanks for your help.

Recipe Plus Screen

Does anyone know if there is a way to create a popup are you sure button when uploading or downloading a recipe?

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if there is a way to create a popup are you sure button when uploading or downloading a recipe?

Thanks in advance.

I would create a momentary button for each command. Then use the visibility of the associated tag to display the actual command button.

Example: To download, create a momentary button labeled "Download" and set the hold time to 5 Seconds. That will give the operator 5 seconds to decide before removing the option to continue. If 5 seconds is not long enough, then use a timer and a holding bit in the PLC logic.

Create a "RecipeDownload" BOOL tag in the PLC.

Then create the recipe download button labeled "Are You Sure?" with the visibility visible when the "RecipeDownload" tag is TRUE.

If you do not want to wait for the timeout after pressing the recipe download button for the recipe download button to hide, do a compare with a recipe tag that you know will be changed upon downloading and set the "RecipeDownload" tag to FALSE to hide the recipe download button.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have some specific question related to this thread to get a better understanding of the recipe manager in FTV.

We use RecipeManger Plus as it's the easiest way to display our multiples parameters in our machines because we have a lot of them. If I knew how to display a spreadsheet to use UDT as recipe instead of using this feature, I would be willing to try. We currently create 1 RECIPE for each product (been configure this way before my time) and it's quite not optimal (even maybe the wrong way)

I've listen to this video: FactoryTalk View Recipe Tutorial and I've discover we were probably doing it wrong for a long time. My current configuration should use 1 RECIPE only and have multiple UNITS that populate the same ingredients. The actual way, customers aren't able to add products without our help.

Let put you in context with a fictional project. We have a machine that accept different product. Let call them; "Product_1", Product_2", Product_3" & Product_4". Each product all uses the same tags (at this point) so its still quite easy. Our parameters could be; "Infeed_Speed", Outfeed_Speed", "Release_delay" & "Compression_time". This structure is already used, I can manage, and it work ok. (I used different terms to define my element as INGREDIENTS and UNITS terms used by A&B still confuse me bit at this time.)

I need to bring things up a bit by multiplying the possibilities of each parameters within the same product that will match a certain "Speed of operation" of the machine. I will have probably 3 states; "Regular", "Medium" & "Fast", and was thinking about configuring arrays to each tag. My parameters would now be; "Infeed_Speed[0]", Outfeed_Speed[0]", "Release_delay[0]" & "Compression_time[0]", and I would change my index to control the speed of the operation I want to run to.

The way I know I could do it would be to duplicate each parameter within the same product, but I don't find this solution really efficient (12 lines per product instead of 4). Is there a way to maybe have 3 RECIPES that would change the TAG SET of each ingredient for each UNIT? I still need the 3 sets of parameters to load at once when you hit DOWNLOAD.

Thanks for your help!