Migration PLC5 Ethernet to Controllogix with ethernet port connect with DCS system

huynt

Dear all,
I has a PLC5 system with PLC 5/80 CPU with 1785-ENET want to migrate to Controllogix. PLC5 system connect with DCS over Ethernet port of 1785-ENET. My customer cannot permit to modify DCS hardware or software. I read Ethernet/IP manual, PLC5 using PCCC messages, but Controllogix Ethernet/IP module using native EIP. Please help me, how to migrate to controllogix?.
Thanks.

I recommend communication modules from Prosoft Technology.

The appropriate module may be the FieldSever-based PS56-PRO-407 module.

You need to carefully analyze how the DCS reads and writes to the PLC-5 controller to be sure that the Prosoft module will allow the same reading and writing to the module's emulated data tables.

Some DCS implementations will read and write to the same data table elements, or to elements closely spaced together in the data table. This may not be supported by the Prosoft module.

Tell the DCS vendor that if they will not co-operate, then they will face increased costs for analyzing their interface.

Thank Ken Roach.
I read in RSlogix 5000 manual, controllogix can be using PLC/SLC mapping, this mean that can use PCCC messsage with controllogix ethernet module?, can emulate PLC5 Memory for DCS?. DCS is Yokogawa Centium for thermal Powerplant.

You really need to analyze the Ethernet traffic very carefully to figure out what protocols the Yokogawa system is using.

"PCCC" refers to the command set and addressing method. It means that the Yokogawa is reading and writing PLC-5 style data table addresses.

PCCC commands can be transported by many different protocols over many different networks. DF1 and DH+ were classic ways to transport PCCC commands between Allen-Bradley controllers, and the "PLC/SLC Mapping" feature allows ControlLogix to respond to PCCC commands over those networks.

PCCC commands can also be transported by two different Ethernet protocols: CSPv4 and EtherNet/IP.

The original PLC-5E and 1785-ENET modules supported only the older "CSPv4" protocol.

Modern revisions of the PLC-5E and 1785-ENET support both CSPv4 and EtherNet/IP.

ControlLogix only supports EtherNet/IP. That is why there is a market for the Prosoft module that can add CSPv4 connectivity to the ControlLogix platform.

Ken when you are saying to analyze the traffic are you saying to wireshark the data and verify what protocol is being used? That is the way I am reading it. I want to make sure this is what you are trying to say.

Verifying the protocol is a necessary first step, and Wireshark is an easy tool to do so. CSPv4 protocol will be on TCP Port 2222, and EtherNet/IP will be on Port 44818.

I think it is also necessary to understand in detail how the DCS is reading and writing to the PLC-5 controller.

I have not worked with the FieldServer-based PCCC Ethernet module from Prosoft, but I have done extensive work with Prosoft's native Modbus, Modbus/TCP, and DF1 modules.

Those modules work best when the DCS reads from one Data Table file, and writes to a different one. For example, it would read from "N10:x" and write to "N11:x".

When the DCS reads and writes to the same Data Table file number, or reads and writes to the same Data Table element, the Prosoft module cannot easily handle that interface because of the way it handles Write and Read blocks across the I/O backplane.

In the Prosoft Modbus modules, there was a feature called "Command Passthrough" that allowed you to handle random access to the same data tables. I don't know if that exists in the Fieldserver-based modules.

I am mentioning this because I think huynt is faced with an aspect of his control system that is more complex than it appears on the surface.

Good call. I can't spell DCS and have no experience with them. All the old school byways of doing things seem hard with the new technology we have now.

Thank Ken Roach and JeffKiper
DCS Use ACM71 module only support CSP protocol. I'll carefully check DCS information for migration PLC5.