1784 PCIDS / 1794 ANT DeviceNet Issues

electric101

I'm using a softlogix 5800 (1789) with a 1784 PCIDS card connected to 1794 Devicenet adapter with 1 OA8 120V output. I've setup everything acording to the AB docs and i'm having some trouble. ISSUES and QUESTIONS: 1. when in rsnetworks i see the properties of the 1794 controller which i have setup with the 1'st module being the OA8 120v output, showing 2 input bytes for each (1794 & the OA8) click the plus sign beside the OA8 and it lists 16 bits.... but looking at outputs there is nothing... why do they show up under "inputs" instead of outputs???
2. the 1784 is setup as node 3... the 1794 is node 1, looking at the 1794 i have a green light on "mod/net status" and a red flashing led on IO status and of course a green on power. when looking at teh softlogix controller i have a error 77 on the 1794 and a error 80 on the 1784. any ideas where i should start? 3. i've read where you have to activate the scanner by turning on the run bit... i've written that as the first line of logic in logix5000 (just that run bit as an output on a otherwise empty line to ensure its true) is this what im supposed to do? i'm very new to rslogix 5000 but have to pick it all up very soon.

Welcome to the Forum !

You are correct about the RUN command bit; that's why you are seeing the error code 80 for the scanner. Be sure you chose the Output "Local:1:O.CommandRegister.Run" bit, not the Input status "Local:1:I.StatusRegister.Run"bit.

Are you sure that the SoftLogix itself is in RUN mode ?

Error code 77 indicates a size mismatch between the Scanlist and the actual 1794-ADN.

Can you post the *.DNT file here ? ZIP it first.

Also, 1794-ADN adapters require a power cycle before they will apply any changes to their I/O object. Be sure you've cycled power to the DeviceNet network and to the 1794-ADN itself while troubleshooting Error 77's.

Last edited:
update,
i finally got it into run mode, i went back and forth with the softlogix toggle run/rem/prog alot of times but maybe i just wasnt waiting long enough for it to update, idk.
error code 77 is a bit more of a problem.
i noticed that with everyone of the 25 or so customer sites ive been to with this flex IO setup they all had an input module as the first module, so i thought maybe that had something to do with it, so i changed my config to 1794 controller/ 16point 24v input / 16 point 24v output. i looked in the IO summary tab of the 1794 in rsnetworks and it now shows the correct 4input bytes and 2 output bytes. looking at the 1784 scanner, scanlist tab/edit IO parameters button showed input size 4 and output size 0, i changed that to input size 4 output size 2. but the condition persists.
also, it will not allow me to change the node of the scanner from 3 to 0... or any other node number for that matter... gives me some kind of failed to change node because of internal error or something. i'll have to wait till im home to get the exact text and the .dnt file.
im taking a new PC home with me that has the entire working setup already configured... except for the number and type of modules attached to the 1794.

just FYI i am very new to the troubleshooting of this hardware and rslogix 5000 but I'm about to be taking over support of a plant that usese it extensively. My current company uses the flex IO ethernet adapter but has mapped the IO locations without needing rslinx or rslogix.... so i've seen the hardware regularly but its all controlled by our inhouse software and realtime controller.