Beijer Exter HMI No Protocol problem with Siemens PLC

BryanG

Spent the best part of the day trying to figure a problem with the Beijer Exter series no protocol mode. I got it sussed and so thought I would post it in case someone else hits the same problem. I realise that the Exter is an old HMI and I don't know if it applies to the Ix series.

I have the HMI connected to a Siemens S7-1200, but I think it would apply to all 300s and 400s as well. The standard format for a string is that the first byte holds the length of the string and from byte 2 onwards is the data. Siemens have their own system where the first byte is the string length and the second byte is the maximum length of string and so the data starts at byte 3. You might wonder what that has to do with the HMI 'no protocol' mode. Well it seems that if you set the string type to Siemens in the Exter driver that it also changes the format of the data sent and received in 'no protocol' mode. It doesn't mention that in the Beijer manual and a web search came up empty.