Rmc100 - Enet Setup - Control Logix

drawson

I am trying to setup an RMC100 motion controller to communicate via EthernetIP with a control logix processor. I have followed the instructions in the setup guide but it doesn't go into how to setup the ENET /A module in the control logix processor. I am having trouble specifically with setting up the network file in RSNetworx. I imported the EDS file via the EDS wizard and it looks like it registered the file without any problems however the RMC controller does not appear in the hardware window. I have tried to refresh, restart RSNetworx and reboot the machine. I don't know what else to try. If anyone out there can help me I would really appreciate it.

RSNetworx and EDS files are not required.

drawson said:
I am trying to setup an RMC100 motion controller to communicate via EthernetIP with a control logix processor. I have followed the instructions in the setup guide but it doesn't go into how to setup the ENET /A module in the control logix processor.
Just substitute ENET/A everywhere you see ENBT. The ENET /A card is old and obsolete now so we didn't make two procedures that are identical except for the name of the Ethernet card.

drawson said:
I am having trouble specifically with setting up the network file in RSNetworx. I imported the EDS file via the EDS wizard and it looks like it registered the file without any problems however the RMC controller does not appear in the hardware window. I have tried to refresh, restart RSNetworx and reboot the machine. I don't know what else to try. If anyone out there can help me I would really appreciate it.

RSNetworx and EDS files are not required if you want to communicate with the Control Logix. I think you are making this harder than what it is.

There is an example RS5000 program with the RMC communicating with the Control Logix using I/O and with message blocks. Use the example program below.
http://www.deltacompsys.com/Files/rmcenetip.zip

Can you ping the RMC?
Can you ping the Control Logix?
Can you find the RMC using RMCWIN?
Are all the Ethernet devices on the same network?
What are the IP address of the RMC, Control Logix and your laptop? This is the biggest problem customers have. They don't configure the IP addresses so they are on the same network or they assume DHCP will assign and address when there is no DHCP server.

When the RMC is found by RSWho it will look like this:
ftp://ftp.deltacompsys.com/public/jpg/RSWho.PNG

You can see my laptop, My505 and the RMC looks like a SLC5/05 on the RSLinx net work.

No RSNetworx or EDS files are required.

I misinformed you

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the help. I acutally do have an ENBT card not the ENET /A card I stated in my post. My processor is being installed today so I can't test it but I am pretty sure I just didn't understand the architecture very well. I had the Contrologix conneceted to the RMC100 via the ENBT card and my laptop connected to the ControlLogix via DH+. I assumed that I would be able to "see" the RMC100 in RSWho through the DH+ but am now thinking that is incorrect. I went out and bought a cheap switch and will be hooking the three pieces up on the same network later this week so hopefully it will work.

Sorry for the trivial mistake. I am pretty new to this stuff. This past week I learned how to use RSLogix5000, ethernip for the RMC100 and Devicenet to control a pair of VFDs.

Thanks guys!

There is a way to 'see' the RMC100 on Ethernet using the DH+ port. I think you need to set up a routing table in the DH+ card. The issue would be that you won't be able to do anything but see the RMC100.

You are taking the correct path by connecting to the devices via Ethernet. I've done Ethernet through DH+ passthrough before. I would only do that if Ethernet is absolutely not available on the target device.

Keith