Kivy + Python + PLC + RPi

DINT2

Hello,

I would like to share with you print screens of my application I have been working on over past couple of weeks. It is completed in base version and I have got plenty of other ideas on how to take the project further.

Description of the application:

Part 1 (my code)
It's Kivy NUI + Python code to link to Allen Bradley PLC via wifi (PLC linked to wifi access points) or direct wired connection.
Once linked I read some PLC tags < 100 ms and monitor for certain values and perform some functions, plot real-time graph with some pop up windows. The code is generic and I achieved the generic functionality by adding 'SETTINGS' screen which let's user to define PLC connection parameters. I can store the values in e.g. DB or text file (not preferred) for historical reasons.
Currently, I work on error handling features e.g. re-establish connection, check if comms lost etc, incorrect data etc.

Part 2 (PLC driver)
I use Python code written by Agostino Ruscito 'pycomm' module written in Python to link to PLC....big up!

Application screens
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6543156/KIVY_PYTHON_PLC.pdf
I am going to upload a youtube video for you this week to show you the application funcionality.

I am keen to hear your comments, positive / negative feedback, criticism, questions, ideas :)

I was thinking of using a cheap windows based tablet to be connected via wifi to one of my plcs trhru advancedhmi, I am waiting for an used access point and a tablet.
I like this approach too.

Kivy & Python & Linux are free and both have wide, big community support. Rpii is cheap as chips and runs linux ... used driver's source code is open source ... you can easily deploy code and create your own ideas.
So all for free and HW (Rpi + touchscreen) < £100. I do not say your solution is no good ... no, but I like my idea more ;)

anyway, whatever pushes technology further is great.
----
PS. Thanks V0N_hydro. I will keep you updated with new features & developments.

Last edited:
Is there any specific reason you used AB PLC ? Did you tried to replaced it with arduino hardware ? In that case arduino + RPI is your PLC and you may develop mobile app/ web assess too. Its hard to comment anything unless I can understand what you are aiming for.

Last edited:
Very cool. I did something similar a few years back with an RPi. I had around 40 stations with old Bosch controllers that had no network connections of any kind and I wanted to display some machine data on a screen (cheaply). I ended up using Beckhoff BK9000 buscouplers with discreet IO connections to the PLC and Modbus TCP/IP communication with a Java application I wrote. Whole thing was configured via XML files and between the buscouplers, the raspberry pi, and the monitor I think I spent less than $300 bucks a machine installed and all I had to do was have an intern copy an SD card 40 times over. Actually, it was so straightforward that I had the hardware installed on 40 machines and I configured it all remotely while I was working in Germany at the time.

Also, some useful information is there's a few flavors of industrial Arduinos and Raspberry Pi's out there. I think there was kickstarter last year that now sells a board that accepts 24vdc power and is a lot more rugged.

Nice man, looks good. Is that the "official" Pi touchscreen? I bought this tontec one, it was kind of a pain, the official one seems much better.