How To Use RSLinx With FT View Studio

anstee33

Can somebody please give me some basic instructions on how to use RSLinx as an OPC Server in FT View Studio. Please Help.

Yes thats right as standard it does but i wish to use RSlinx as i want to utilise topic switching a function used in RSLinx. But im unsure how to get it to work.

Sure you can; you can use any OPC-DA server with FactoryTalk View SE or FactoryTalk View ME.

Just add the OPC Server to the project tree in FactoryTalk View Studio; right-click on the FTView Project (the second item from the top) and select Add New Server, then choose "OPC Data Server".

You can choose RSLinx Classic as a Local or a Remote OPC server.

RSLinx Classic OPC Server doesn't work with the PanelView Plus runtime* of FactoryTalk View ME, just the Windows desktop version.

* Actually, you can use RSLinx Classic as a Remote OPC Server for the PanelView Plus, right up until the connection between them is broken, after which the connection won't re-establish until you restart (usually by cycling power !) the RSLinx Classic server.

I don't know why this doesn't work, or why it breaks, but it's not supported by RA so I'm not going to pursue it.

Thank you Ken, thats as far as ive got but how do i direct FT View to use this server and not Enterprise and do i delete Enterprise server from the project or just leave it there.

From FactoryTalk View's perspective, RSLinx Classic OPC Topics and RSLinx Enterprise Shortcuts are almost identical.

You just browse to the Shortcut or Topic name when addressing an HMI Tag or creating a Direct Reference.

The syntax is the same: [ClassicOPCTopicName] or [EnterpriseShortcutName].

In the Tag Browser, the data source is usually not shown, only the shortcut names.

An important step is to be sure that there are no RSLinx Classic OPC Topics that have the same name as RSLinx Enterprise Shortcuts.

You can delete the RSLinx Enterprise data server from the project if you like; it is not required if it's not being used. I would just reset the driver/shortcut schema to defaults then leave it unconfigured.

I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone has completely answered the "How do I" question originally asked.

I made a quick video demonstrating this and posted to YouTube. The message never indicated FT View ME or SE, only Studio. I used SE, but the procedure is the same for ME. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZpKXey_Tz0

Hope this helps!
OG

problem with rslinx in FT me

I have the same problem. In my aplication I have a comunitacion between plc and IHM by rslinx remote opc, but when I create the aplication, and the end appear a message fail with the code 27. And not created the file .mer. I'm not use the RSlinx Enterprise.

I would like to bump this thread if I may. I have a project using a series c panelview plus 6 v8.0. Although I can get data from a remote opc server on my development machine in test mode without any issue, as soon as I transfer the application to the PvP it will not talk to the remote opc server. I have exhausted my options I believe and Rockwell tell me that you cannot connect to a remote opc server.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39444/page/3

Extensive trawling of the knowledge base has backed up their position.

I have read on the Microsoft website that dcom has been dropped from wince6.0 perhaps this Is related?

The opc server in question is codesys V3. I'm a bit gutted tbh as the pv is currently a very expensive paper weight. Surely an opc client would be available as standard one would think??

Colin