RSLogix 5000 Email instruct.ion. Send and email every several scans

D4nnyD

Hey,

Im new to the forum and ive searched through it looking for a way to use RSLogix 5000 to send an email every time a sequencer goes to the next 1-2 positions or scans. Im using ControlLogix 5000 as the PLC and a Flex IO setup for a sequencer block mover for a school project(Using SQI and SQO). Ive read that its possible to use the MSG instuction, but im really confused as to how to go about doing so.

So if anyone has a step by step guide that i can follow, or an example plc program it would be GREAT help. Thanks!

-Danny

:ROFLMAO: Then set your mail client to forward all e-mails to everyone in your contact list, including yourself !!! :sick:

hey gscure thanx for the guide. And yeh id be annoyed with all those emails as well, but my prof requested i do it :S lol dont ask. Just another question though, would i be able to send it straight to a hotmail or gmail address, or are those mail settings unavailable?

Mail Server

As for hotmail or gmail those are things that would have to be set up in the mail server. The PLC is merely sending the "message" to the mail server and then the server defines where the message is to be sent. That is my understanding at least.

SMTP Port

Is it possible to configure in the PLC programming the default port of the SMTP server from 25 to a different port? If so, how?

SMTP Port - Figured out

Very cool that you figured out how to change the port. Maybe you could share what you figured out so others can have that information also. I am personnaly curious as to how you do that.

Thanks

After the SMTP server IP you use a SPACE then the port number, not a COLON as I thought:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxxxxx

By the way, Thank you very much for posting that document!

After the SMTP server IP you use a SPACE then the port number, not a COLON as I thought:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxxxxx
This is incorrect
Port 25 is hardcoded in firmware and port numbers after IP simply ignored
You can do wireshark to verify it, you will see messages going to port 25

Last edited:
I have a similar project but the customer has requested we send an email to a office 365 account from a 1756-ENBT

I have read in forums that the port:25 is hard coded in firmware but I cannot find it in the manual. Is it true that the SMTP must be setup to port 25?

I have also read that 1756-ENBT will not work with a SMTP server that requires authentication. I can not find that in the manual either. Can anyone confirm?

(I wasn't sure of protocol whether I should start a new thread or keep this going, sorry if im wrong)

Nothing changed, email CIP object remains the same for all modules old(ENBT) or new (EN2T).
I think there is an AOI that uses Sockets instead, but ENBT does not support sockets.