safe PLC for a press control

Are there any PLCs that meet the ANSI requirements (control reliability requirements) and can be used on a hydraulic press? I heard there are few foreign PLC manufacturers which claim they meet the requirements by using dual processors. Please advise if anyone has any experiences with these PLCs.

Safety PLC's

Allen Bradley make a "safety" PLC designed with double redundancy and meets the SIL3 safety integrity level. Perhaps check the A-B Website and look for GuardPLC 1200 for more detail. They have lots of safety monitoring relays and alike in case you want an ordinary PLC with just some safety interlocking circuits.

Stephen, A 'Power Press' controller typically describes a mechanical press i.e. with huge flywheel & clutch/brake, Not a HYDRAULIC press!

I believe there is a seperate ANSI spec for hydraulic presses but I don't have it handy at the moment.

Found it! ANSI B11.2 covers hydraulic presses. ANSI B11.17 covers hydraulic extrusion presses, specifically, but may be useful for your particular application.

Last edited:
Press Crontrol

Triad controls has several good press control packages. We are putting one in now for a customer. Go to www.triadcontrols.com
I have used the Allen Bradley control package but it is over priced and everything is an extra.