5/05 enet fault light

2004sk4

I have a 5/05 ethernet plc which recently has been shutting off the enet port for some reason. The enet light will bling red but the plc will still function. Every once in a while the plc will fault. When the plc faults i can get online with the df1 portand clear the fault and put the program back to run. There is no description of the fault in the error box but it will reset. This problem is happening at power up.

Is there a reference manual on the 5/05 plc or a reference manual for the item which could fault the enet port off

please advise

I sure think there should be a fault code in S:6 or S:54. Does the SLC-5/05 fault as well, or just the Ethernet port ?

Unplug the SLC from the Ethernet and PING its IP address to verify there isn't a duplicate IP on the network.

Make sure you have a Diagnostic File defined for the Channel 1 port. It won't give you SLC fault codes, but it will tell you if there's something physically wrong with the port through the counters for collisions, etc.

Most of the time the plc is in run mode but the enet will be blinking red. you can power the panel down and repower the panel. This will clear the error on the enet most of the time. I have had a couple instances when the enet and flt light will be blinking red. When going online the error description box will be blank. I can push clear major flt and then return to run.

I have a ch1 diag setup and will check into this next time it happened before reseting it.

Do you think the plc could be corrupted. I have a spare on the shelf but would like to leave it as a last resort in case the problem is somewhere else and mess up two 5/05 plcs

is there a manual for reading the blinks on the 5/05

please advise

The old plc got to the point that is was not functional. the enet would fault and the df1 would kick me off every 30 secs or so.

I install a new plc which cleared up all the enet issues but has caused a new one.

The plc will boot fine and run about 25-45min then fault

the fault shows

"hardware interrupt problem exact slot cannot be determined"

It will reset and run another 25-45 mins and do it again.

I have changed the backplanes and powersupplies

the current seup
main rack
1747 l551c
open
1746-ni4
1747-sn
1746-ia16
1746-1a16
1746-ia16
1747-no8v "external power"
1746-ow16
1746-ow16
expansion rack
1746-ni4
1746-ni4
1746-no8v "external power"
1746-ib16
1746-ib16
1746-ox8
1746-ow16

rio rack
asb
open
open
open
1746-ia16
1746-ia16
1746-ia16
open
1746-ow16
1746-ox8

What could be causing the above fault.

please advise

thanks

The origninal plc was
1747-l551 series b rev 4(1747-0s501 ser c frn 4)
the enet light was constantly blinking red and then would fault the plc.

The first replacement i tried was
1747-l551 series c rev 5(1747-0s501 ser c frn 10)

This plc had faults all day long.

"hardware interrupt problem exact slot cannot be determined."

If i install the plc and do a read i/o i get

"identical card detected. do you want to keep the advanced configuation file for slot #3"

slot #3 is the 1747-sn rio card

I put another replacement plc in

1747-l551 series b rev 4(1747-os501 ser c frn 5)
I am still getting the same fault but mostly during power up.

My gut feeling is there is a conflict between the plc and rio card but am not sure the best way to diagnosis this.

please advise

Any chance it could just be a bad rack?
With truly oddball problems, I generally swap out the rack(s), and the problems go away.

That message leads me to think in that direction.

I have changed both the local and expansion rack backplanes and power supplies. If it faults again i will change the backplane and power supply on the remote rack fed from the scanner card.

It faulted one time today at startup but has run since. I know the problem is still there and will more then likely show back up.

the error code in the s:54 1f5ah 1f means undetermined slot I am not sure what the 5ah means

What cards are capable of showing a interrupt error.

Please advise.

I'm am still having the above issues but atleast they are less frequent.

I am thinking about changing the 1746-no8v class 3 card with a no4v card. i am only using 7 analog output channel total.

I have changed all of the analog input card.

Is there anything else i should try?

please advise

tried the program redump and as for the rio rack that part of the program has not changed in years. this problem has showed up recently

please advise

Just curious this kind of sounds like a power issue.

Do you have anything connected to the 24vdc supply of the slc power supply? I have seen field inputs connected to this have partial shorts, induced voltage, etc most people don’t use those.

You said that you replaced the power supply before but was it big enough to begin with p-4 is the largest I think. What do you have? Use the power consumption tool in rslogix to compare your power supplies rated output to the cards you have in the chassis.

Is the Ethernet cable routed away from other power sources that could couple voltage onto the cat5?

What else is connected to the Ethernet port? Hub, switch, router how large and how many?

Something else on the same physical media could be causing this problem also a bad or hub or switch on the same media.

Nothing else is hooked to any of the slc powersupplys beside the 110 volts needed to power them.

The enet light fault light has cleared up. I Changed the hub in a aux cabinet(burner panel info) which was doing a msg read from the plc in question.

I have check the power going to the plc and it is stable.

i check to make sure all the grounds and neutral are tight in the panel.

I put a p2 powersupplys in the rack and according to the i/o config i am well within limits.

I changed all the i/o cards in the remote rack to make sure something wasn;t going crazy there causing the unknown error messages.

BTW thank to everyone for the advise on this uncommon problem.

Since you changed out the hub and if it is a real hub then you may want to consider using a switch depending on what else is connected to that network.

A hub transmits all incoming packets on all ports. So this could lead to your network getting bogged down with traffic and could be your problem.

You would be much better served using a switch in this application IMHO