Date & Time question (TD17)

userxyz

Hi all,

I have a problem with the Text Displays TD17 in our factory. We synchronise the Date & Time in the CPU with the TD17; we do this with the SFC SET_CPU_CLOCK. We write the data of the TD in DB's and we read this out of the DB to write the time in the CPU.

What's the problem? Wel, the clock doesn't hold her date & time right, I mean the TD17 doesn't hold it. We tried to put Back-up battery's in there, but, then we get messages on the TD when they should not be shown on the display (yes, really!!)

Therefore, I want to use the clock of the CPU instead of the TD17 clock. But, can I write date & Time of the CPU to the TD17 ?
It should be possible I think, else siemens is junk if that's impossible. How should I do it, write to interface area's (DB's) ?

In this way, we can synchronise the Clocks of all our cpu's with our PC on the profibus net.

Help would be gratefull,

thanks, and thanks again for those who want to give me an answer

c u

;)

Hi Combo, I am not the best one here to answer your question, maybe Paul will chime in tonite and help you out. However, I did see just what you are looking for at the AB automation show last week: a card that automaticly syncs your PLC 's clock to the GPS satellites' atomic clocks. The cards are made by a South African firm...sorry but I left the info at work, if no one else jumps in here and tells us the name, I'll post it Monday AM... I thought it was really a great idea!!!!
Good Luck!!!
David

Combo said:
But, can I write date & Time of the CPU to the TD17 ?

Combo

I don't think you can do this, I am not sure, but I thought that you set the date and time on the TD17 when you set up the hardware. I might be wrong on that.

Do you want the date and time for the time stamp for event messages or do you just need to display the current date and time on the TD17?

If it is just for display purposes can you just have an integer input field on the TD17 in which you can show the time? OK this is not really an efficient way of doing it as you need 5 input fields, (year, month, day, hour and minutes)

I have not worked with a TD17 (just TP27-10's) so I am not that savvy with the setup of these. I am surprised that once you set the TD17 clock that it loses the time, even when you have the backup battery installed. I think that we have a couple of TD17's at work, if we do I will try and grab one and see what the score is regarding the clock.

Paul

I have attached a program that allows operator panels to set the CPU clock. I did it with a TP170, but should work with the TP17. You can read the CPU clock also.

RROBBINS

Thanks for your help (again, u helped a lot if I look in lmy plcs history);

I'll try your archived program,

c u

;)

Setting the TD clock

It can be done with PLC job 14, but how do I use the job, has enyone a good example for me please, Rrobbins, can u give me an example how to write the clock of the td ?

c u later guys

Combo. Check if this works. The block was originally a Siemens example for changing screens. I modified it a bit i hope it works i cant test it since i dont have any "old" panels around.