Gripper construction : lineair actuators

aand74

We will be constructing a gripper for a robot.
The gripper will have the ability to extend itself in length and width direction.
For this extending we will need linear actuators. Because we need fast and precise positioning we would need analog speed setpoint to the actuator, fieldbus setpoint speed setpoint, or the actuator may also be selfpositioning (a position setpoint is given to the actuator).
Does anyone has experience with such type of lineair actuators? Then please give us some tips on brands and types.

Google "End of Arm Tooling" "End-Effector" for a wealth of information.
Why would you build your own when there is probably an off-the-shelf solution?

I would use our own design with a servo on it, or alternatively AB/SMC/FESTO have a number of servo or stepper driven actuators. You can get them as a complete kit, or just the mechanical component itself.

What type of speed/travel/force do you require, or how much weight is it moving?