FTView Datalogging/Trend

junior

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to have a plc change a tag to "1", once FTVIEW SE see's that this tag is '1" it would log one data point, and then change the tag to "0". Then the process would repeat.

Next, what would be the best way for the trend object in FTVIEW SE to display the history of the data logged in the file. I was trying to use the "poll historical data" server, but that doesn't seem to display any data from the logged file.

The last thing is how to export data from the logged files into excel (not sure if this is possible).

TIA
Jr.

1. Look at using a Macro.

2.What Version of SE? If V9 you can use Trend Pro and under Traces point it at a datalog. If older than V9. Under the pens tab switch the Pen source to a datalog.

3. Use the Factory Talk View File Viewer to open the (Float).DAT file (that file is located in the in HMI project folder in the DLGLOG folder). Once the file is open you can than do a Save As. It will save it as a .csv but you can open it with Excel then save it as a workbook.

Thanks for the information. One thing I'm not clear on is how to use the macro to get a tag in the plc to trigger when a value is logged. The logging needs to be active when the user is not on the trend screen, so asl long as the SE application is running the datalog should be logging being triggered by the PLC tag.

Just to clarify. You want the datalog to set a tag in the plc to 1 when it logs a value? Why? What are trying to accomplish?

You have to use a macro to start/stop the datalog. You can then run that Marco at startup or trigger it with a tag.
Look at creating an event to take a snapshot of the log.

Ok just reading your first post again...
For example create a data log that logs every minute. Use a macro to start the data log (datalog on) run this Marco at startup. Then create an event triggered by your plc to take a snapshot and set the tag back to zero.
I can post an example tomorrow.

What I'm trying to achieve is to have the datalog, log a tag at varying intervals, so not every 10 seconds, but based off of when the PLC says to log by the PLC setting a tag to 1. When the PLC sets the tag to 1, this will trigger the datalogger to record one reading of the data tag, and then set the "trigger" tag to 0 to let the PLC know that the value has been recorded. The plc will then set the tag again to one so the datalogger can record the next reading, and so on.

Ignore the datalogger entirely. Just make a hidden window, put your discrete tag from the PLC on it as an indicator, expose the indicator to VBA, and write some VBA code for OnChange.

Honestly, I would fully explain how to do it, but the information is in the forum here in general, and I will not support the use of FTView in any way, shape or form.

I was looking at that, but I don't know how to tie it to a tag value in the PLC.

Use a Event and take a "DataLogSnapshot".

Create your datalog and set the Log Triggers to On Demand and update rate of 1 seconds.
Create a "startup macro" to turn your datalog on and event on.
Create your Event with a action of "DatalogSnapshot yourdatalognamehere"
Write your expression to trigger the event.
Macro.PNG

Event.PNG

Log.PNG

Last edited: