EDS and MDT woes

JE_Engr

I am having some issues with an EDS and the module-defined data type being incorrect. I know my module should have 16 input and 16 output bytes in the tags generated. Instead, I only get a Boolean "I.ConnectionFaulted" bit for the input tag. The output tags are correct, O.Data[0] through [15], the input file should have the connection faulted bit PLUS I.Data[0] through [15].

I've stared at the EDS file for a day now and still can't make much sense of it. The EDS file I am working with is for the E/IP connection on an Atlas Copco Power Focus driver. Anybody have any ideas what could cause this tag structure to generate improperly?

Welcome to the PLCTalk community !

What version of RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 are you using ?

A failure to properly parse some third party EDS files for EDS-based AOPs was a common issue early on (I experienced it first in v19, I think).

Where exactly did you get the EDS (post it or a link, if you can).

And push back hard on Atlas-Copco for support and compatibility examples; they deserve their poor reputation for network testing and support and aren't going to improve unless they get feedback from the people actually buying their products.

Ken, I am using Studio 5000 version 30. The EDS file came from https://www.anybus.com/support/file-doc-downloads/anybus-master-slave-specific/?ordercode=AB4173
Anybus makes the Ethernet communication card that Atlas Copco uses. As you said, atlas was absolutely clueless when it comes to supporting this. Anybus said that their eds file was posted for people who use their com device to build their own EDS file from. Atlas just sends it out as is.
After some persuasion, I got Anybus to run the EDS file and they found the same problem. Turns out the descriptor flag in the EDS for the input assembly was incorrect. They sent me a new EDS and it's fixed now.

The old EDS said:
[Assembly]
Revision =2;

Assem100 =
"INPUT",
0x0000,
4072,;

The new EDS file looks like this:

[Assembly]
Revision =2;

Assem100 =
"INPUT",
0x0001,
4072,;

The 0x0001 is the "Descriptor" field of the Assembly section of the Electronic Data Sheet.

It's a set of bits that call out specific features for the Assembly.

Bit 00 is the "Allow Value Edit" bit. My understanding is that if this bit is zero, then the actual data member is hidden.

If it's set true, and all the Member fields are empty (they are, in your example) then the .Data section is a single Array tag of they type selected in the I/O object.

So I think in your case, this makes a SINT[509] data array for the Input assembly.

That sounds like the default setting for the Anybus adapter.

Good explanation Ken. I've lost count the number of third-party EDS files that I've encountered with errors in them. Often as simple as this one here. Easy to correct lots of them, but it's quite poor on their behalf. Nothing a little testing wouldn't iron out. ****y coders or lazy bosses, or a mixture of both, I'm sure?

G.

I would love to be able to understand what I'm looking at when going through the customer supplied EDS. Can you recommend any literature that explains the EDS file structure to this kind of detail?

Get the EZ-EDS Utility and it should help you parse through each section. Otherwise you have to get the whole CIP Specification, which generally requires joining ODVA or searching thoroughly on the Internet.

https://www.odva.org/software/EZ-EDS-Download

There's also a good RA document for developers that specifically addresses "EDS based Add On Profiles".

Better yet: John Rinaldi's blog post on the topic:

https://www.rtaautomation.com/add-profile-aop/