Controller Tags Search Bar

PLC_n00b_1018

Hello All,

I have RS Logix 5000 version 17.01.00. I have 3 different PLC's in the plant with a different Logix 5000 file for each of them. In one of the files when I go into controller tags I am able to use the search bar but in the other 2 there is no search bar.

My program has thousands of tags so having a search bar would be extremely helpful and I can't figure out why I have it in one and not the other 2. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

The search feature was introduced in version 18. Perhaps your file that has the search bar was written for a later version than the other two.

once you have your tag window open, try clicking "view" (from the top drop down menu) and then "toolbars" and then select the option "Restore factory toolbar layout"

Just a shot in the dark, but it might return the search bar for you.

The search feature was introduced in version 18. Perhaps your file that has the search bar was written for a later version than the other two.

Copy that this is correct.The one that has the search is version 19. How is this possible that I have two different versions of RS Logix 5000?

Is it based off the version of the company who wrote the software? Any ideas for how much it costs to go from v 17 to v 18?

Thanks,

Correct, whatever version of firmware was put on the controller when it was commissioned controls what version of the software is required to program on it. You can flash the firmware on the controller fairly easily, but you need to make sure you know what you are doing as making a mistake or losing comms/power during a firmware flash can brick your PLC. Once the firmware is flashed, all you need to do is change the version in the program and download.

You can get firmware versions from Rockwell's website by the way. You'll need to get the program called ControlFLASH as well.

Correct, whatever version of firmware was put on the controller when it was commissioned controls what version of the software is required to program on it. You can flash the firmware on the controller fairly easily, but you need to make sure you know what you are doing as making a mistake or losing comms/power during a firmware flash can brick your PLC. Once the firmware is flashed, all you need to do is change the version in the program and download.

Thanks!

Yup, once you have a license for Logix, it covers all the versions, you just need to download them individually and install them individually. You just need to make sure the PLC itself will support the firmware, which you can check out on their website as well (compatability area)

Yup, once you have a license for Logix, it covers all the versions, you just need to download them individually and install them individually. You just need to make sure the PLC itself will support the firmware, which you can check out on their website as well (compatability area)

I believe this is only correct if you have a TechConnect contract. Without it you can only download versions prior to the one current when you purchased your license.

I believe this is only correct if you have a TechConnect contract. Without it you can only download versions prior to the one current when you purchased your license.

Ah that might very well be true... I've always had a techConnect contract since I became an integrator, so I may have taken this for granted.