Using image from a file on a Panel view plus 6

tomjohn01

Hello.

We have the ability now to load a stack of lids (20-50 all the same) into 1 of 6 magazines from a selection of 16 different lids to be used to put automatically onto a box via PLC. We use a panel view plus 6 so the operator can let the PLC know what lid is in which magazine at any time. However as people can make mistakes when entering a lid number we want to be able to add a picture of the lid to the display page, so when it is selected they have a visual prompt to make sure they have selected the correct lid. At first this appears easy as I can add all the images of the lids to the image library of factory talk view studio (ME) and show specific image on the page under the correct conditions.

The problem I am having is the higher up want to be able to update these images infrequently, without having to go to someone to use Studio and update the image library, recompile a runtime application and transfer it to the panel view (which will also shut down the panel view as the update is in progress).

So I am trying to find a way to be able to show the image from a file either locally stored on windowsCE Ver 6 in the panel view or points to a file on a PC in the network, were the file (JPG,PNG etc.) can be updated and the image on the panel view would be updated automatically (possibly accepting a page update required by changing page).

The only thing I have found is to use an ActiveX component for “Microsoft Forms 2.0 Image” but as far as I can work it out it uses the image from a selected file without adding it to the image library but only make it so the image is now saved with the display GFX and would still need Studio to update the image.

Does anyone know how to use image files that can be updated at runtime? I would think there is a way as you can view cameras on the panel view although I believe they also need an ActiveX component to do so.

We have a panel view 6 700 (with firmware version 8.0.10.12) and use Factorytalk View Studio V9 (when creating runtime application we save as type “Runtime 8.0 Application”)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Take a look at the Program Launcher ActiveX Control. You will need to verify that it works with a Panel View I have only used it on a PC running FTVME.
Program Launcher ActiveX control
The Program Launcher ActiveX control provides the system with the ability to launch third-party applications from within the FactoryTalk View Machine Edition application.

Use the Program Launcher ActiveX control to:

Launch a specified instance of an application with optional command parameters
Control focus of launched application(s), bringing the desired application to the foreground under application control
Close specific applications launched using the control

The ME WebBrowser activeX could be used to view something on the network.

You can also update the images on the PVP directly, using an FTP client. That would let you use the Image object with visibility animation as you need.
There are a few caveats:
  1. Obviously, the FTP server must be enabled on the PanelView to accept uploads
  2. The upload folder must be the temporary folder for the project ~mer\images (but I don't recall the exact path where that is located)
  3. The images must be changed before you open the display in the project (won't update an already open display)
  4. I don't think the images are saved after a project shutdown or power cycle. You would have to re-upload them after each.

Thank you for your replies. Sorry for the pause of my gratitude but we just had Australia day and I was away from computers for the long weekend.

CWAL61
This sounds like a good way of doing it. We do use the program launcher for the SE side to view alarm logs. However when I checked the panel view, there is no Image viewing program that I could find installed. There was a directory for image viewer but it was empty. I had a quick look on the internet for one but as there was another option by arlenjacobs that I was able to play with, I didn’t spend much time on it but will go back and look soon (and check with IT that installed the windows CE to see if they added all utilities when installing).

Arlenjacobs
The FTP doesn’t sound like it will do, as we will not want to have to upload the image every time we start the system or after a power outage. This may work in conjunction with CWAL61’s method if we can find a view to look at a specified directory (e.g. /LidImages) and then use the FTP to store the images permanently in the directory and only change as required with FTP.

Your other method is also promising at the moment. I have had success with it, however with a small limitation. There doesn’t seem to be options (that I can see) to fit the image to the Webrowser window. If I make the window too small, I get scroll bars and I have to make the window well oversize to have them not show. Is there some sort of trick to matching the ActiveX window to the image?

Cheers for the information, I’ll be sure to post if I have some success.

This seems pretty similar to what I need to do (Network folder housing all product images, display the correct one based on Part Type selected), however I am not using Site Edition, anyone know if this type of thing is doable on Machine Edition using the "stock" ActiveX controls?

I have been debating starting to create my own custom ActiveX for this purpose.

Anyone have a solution they prefer?