Backup and recovery suites

trueninjalo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello staff,
I need to setup a version control system and I am narrowing it down to (MTD Autosave) and (Rockwell AssetCentre). I am trying to find a good Pro/Con list or document but am not finding much. I have read both "Features" pages but they both seem to do the exact same thing. Has anyone here found pros and cons to each? If you have one or the other what are some thoughts? I found a couple topics on here but the posts are 5+ years old so far. I am sure there have been changes to both by now.

I have about 90% Rockwell on our floor.

Thanks

I don't personally have experience with either one. I would start by contacting each vendor, asking them to come in and do a presentation on their software and it's features.

If you already have mostly Allen Bradley products in your facility then maybe the management at your facility would prefer Asset Center.

Also ask each vendor for a quote and see what the price difference is.

I am currently working with both and getting information from them, I was hoping to get thoughts from end users. I think it is safe to say each representative may have a biased opinion of their product.

Search this forum. I memory serves me right there was a discussion regarding this in the last 2 months

Not sure where you are and how software is taken at your facility, but software like this usually works best if there is already a strong understanding of version control by the maintenance staff, otherwise it will be a nuisance and not used to its full potential.

Asset Centre does have the capability to run compares on a timed basis to catch anything different so that can be of interest compared to other software suites that may not have this capability.

Consider linking pay rises of approximately half the value of the cheaper solution to KPI s based around version control hygiene, then use git for free. If they can commit to it, Git is super convenient.