Extracting Data from Factory Talk SE to PLC

joelryan22

Hello,
I currently have a factory talk project (Project 1) that uses visual basic to calculate an integer. I am in the process of developing a new project (Project 2) in factory talk that also needs to use that same value. The Visual Basic code to calculate this number is very involved and cant be easily transferred from one program to another.

Is it possible to write the value from the Project 1 to a plc so that i can have that value available to use in Project 2, or any other project in the future, without having to port the visual basic code?

Thanks for any help!

Yes you should be able to do it. I haven't used FT SE for a while but I think what you need to do is to use Device Tags for this. A Device Tag is a tag in the FT SE project that is mapped to a tag in the PLC. Write some VBA code in your FT SE project to put a value in your Device Tag. This value is now stored in the PLC (in the PLC tag that is mapped to your FT SE Device Tag). Then create another Device Tag in your 2nd FT SE project that is also mapped to this PLC tag. Hope this helps.