Linear speed calculation

dave k

i have a rotary encoder that sets on a roll and material travels over the roll. i need to calculate linear speed as my material travels over my roll.
I have a micro 1400 and a 500ppr encoder, my estimated speed is about 1-2ft/min
is all i need ft/min=rpm x circ ????

thanks

You would need to know the circumference of the pitch diameter that is driving the encoder. If your encoder gives a RPM output then calculating the FPM would be simple math.

If you will have to count how many pulses there are in a time period then you will have to calculate how many pulses in a certain time period to get the FPM

Similar Topics

Hey guys, I am trying to calculate the linear speed of a machine. The machine runs off of an encoder so I am using a looping timer to grab...
Replies
Views
I've just gone through the exercise of converting a dwell time on a conveyor to an effective motor speed to achieve that dwell time. During this...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Working on my first job that will have some motion functions. The process involves pipe running on a conveyor system. The conveyor...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone! I have a motion application I need some help with. Here is a sketch: I need to be able to control the speed of the linear...
Replies
Views
Hi, We want to buy a linear actuator 24VDC. We want to control this with a circuit board fro electromen...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom