micrologix 1200, G3 HMI, Crimson, ArchestrA via ethernet...OPCWorx?

matt_2008

Hi,

Complete newbie, just trying to understand whether something is possible. Don't eat me.

I have a machine with a micrologix 1200 PLC controlled via a Red Lion G310 panel using RS232 serial over modbus. The G310 has an ethernet port.

The G310 is programmed using Crimson software. The plant wide ArchestrA SCADA is not currently networked to the G310 and operators can only adjust this machine's settings at the panel itself.

My understanding is that ArchestrA has an OPC UA client option and the ArchestrA IDE can be used to connect to an OPC server to get tag data.

My question is can OPCWorx be used to configure the G3 to operate as an OPC server and hence expose the G3's database for control via the ArchestrA SCADA?

Thanks heaps.

The ML1200 is quite an old beast now. How many I/O cards? It might be easier and cheaper to replace it with a Micrologix 1100 or 1400 and simply connect Archestra to it via Ethernet. You can either use modbus TCP or the ABCIP driver within Archestra to read / write the same registers the Red Lion is looking at.

Otherwise you'll have to try and map between the Red Lion MLX tags and ones you expose to Archestra. I haven't tried this but i can see it being complex.

If you read/write the same registers from the panel and the scada then there's only one source of data

Haha, yes agreed regarding the it being old. I agree with you regarding replacing the PLC.

However, management are looking for other options for reasons of uptime, cost impact, new plc=bad plc etc. (we actually have 9 of these machines in a high volume low margin business and they are critical for economics). Hence I am looking at different solutions out there with the kit we have on hand right now.

Agreed regarding the registers concern. Makes one slightly uncomfortable.

So as a non-ideal solution is my reasoning correct in that it is possible? Since I am not a controls guy, I am looking for someone more experienced to tell me it is not a possible method as described for reason a,b,c ie. debunk my reasoning

For clarity from what you say, it is not your recommendation but it would be possible using the method described?

I have never used this, but reading over their user manual just now it looks like you should be able to do what you're trying to if everything you're looking for is in the screen. Do you already have this software, or would this be a new purchase? If you reach out to RedLion you could probably get a trial or even have one of their support members walk you through what you're trying to accomplish.

I have never used this, but reading over their user manual just now it looks like you should be able to do what you're trying to if everything you're looking for is in the screen. Do you already have this software, or would this be a new purchase? If you reach out to RedLion you could probably get a trial or even have one of their support members walk you through what you're trying to accomplish.

thanks godcixelsyd.

we do have the free red lion crimson software to edit the g3 interface on occassion. we don't as yet have the red lion opcworx for configuring the opc server (but i have checked it out using a trial version when stumbling across this possible method).

i will reach out to one of their support people for further confirmation as suggested prior to adding it to the potential solution list.

If you network the G310 to the SCADA PC, and enable the web browser on the HMI, you can use a web browser on the SCADA PC and control it just like you were standing in front of it. You can control which elements of the Crimson application allow remote control.

The drawback is the fact that the local operator might be in the middle of using the screen while remote control occurs. The upside is that it is very easy to implement.

You should also be able to set up the G310 as a ModbusTCP slave. It's not the ***iest way to go but I've used it and it works well.

Good Luck,

Yosi