Rockwell Custom Motor Files format, third party motor

After axis parameters setup tuning, everything is working finely. My work is complete. The automation guy is doing his job to retrofit the whole thing.

Well done! I've put my problems down to faulty encoders. I have a new batch of 3rd party motors running in a new machine and going on test next week so let's hope they work OK.

Nick

Ahhh, encoders. We destroyed a set of Sick-stegmann SRM encoders because of improper cabling (bad teamwork). So we had extra work to swap the motors to firstly complete the retrofit tests. I shall make and post a small movie of the complete retrofit once done if the customer is okay with it. That will take some time since only one, very seasoned person is retrofiting the whole machine from PLC programming, messaging, security, field buses, to HMI software conception and design.

Last edited:
Hi!
Now I'm trying to replace an encoder at Allen-Bradley MPL-B320P-M motor. I managed to read datafields from original encoder, write it into a new one. Now I need to write a correct value in the field for commutation offset in the encoder. But after I do it, drive shows "Encoder data incorrest" (something like that). As I understand I must recalculate crc for this datafield. But I don't know how to do it. Can anybody help me?

Hello! I managed to find the way how to calculate datafield's control summ - to summ values of 2 bytes from the datafield (30 at all) and then leave only 2 bytes. These 2 bytes are 2 last bytes of each datafield in the Sick SRM50 encoder in MPL motors. If somebody works in this field and need more information how to replace these encoders in AB motors, I can share the information, that I know now.

Here's a vidéo of the progress of the retrofit of the packaging machine :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go52dvm_-uc

There's not a single AB-R motor on this machine. All Elau SM 100/140x with SRM50 hiperface absolute encoders. Motors stay below 50°C after an hour. All logic programming is done, I/O are registered, time-wise it's not far from completed.

Last edited:
CMF Files

Hello WhiteBear,

I have also been working to figure out how to reverse engineer these CMF files, hopefully to allow me to use some incremental servos on SERCOS drives. Would you be willing to share the information you collected on the CMF file format, in particular the blobdata field? It would really help me out trying to run a few of these more obscure motors which Rockwell would not create CMF files for.

Rockwell With Elau

After axis parameters setup tuning, everything is working finely. My work is complete. The automation guy is doing his job to retrofit the whole thing.

Hello Whitebear,

Can you please explain me how you were able to run elau motor in Rockwell platform I am trying to do the same thing

Hello I know this thread is old but does anyone have the Rockwell Blob file data layout? I have a control design that is locked down by the military at V17.3 , using sercos and (4) Kinetix 6000 drives. My motor manufacture has gone out of business and no one at Rockwell remembers the data layout for the .blb file. Its a custom motor with a Stegmann Hyperface SKM absolute encoder. I have figured out how to program the extended data label in the encoder using the Sick PGT11 programmer but need to find additional information on the blob file data layout and what is being read by the 5000 processor during phase 3 of the 6000 drive. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Hello,

Not quite dead.

Everything in the Sick encoder memory is read, checked, and must have whole integrity.

I don't quite understand your goal : do you have spare custom motors that have not been setup for use with Kinetix 6000 ?

In this case, copying the structure from a working motor is a starting point. But commutation might be a big issue depending how they were made.

I suppose, as usual in this type of request, that you are the "poor guy" doing the actual technical job while others reap the cash ?

WhiteBear,
Thank you for answering, you are correct in you assumption.
I did the original PLC software while another engineer designed the hardware and motors. My biggest problem is this... We are now tasked with redesigning the motors. The original design criteria was IP55. The plan now is to design/build new motors that are form, fit and function but are IP68. The original design team from 2010 is now down to myself and one other engineer.
I am trying to learn as much as I can before my back is up against the wall trying to integrate the new motors into a 10 yr old hardware design. The original motor manufacture that received the blob files from Rockwell no longer exist, nor does the division within Rockwell that created the file.
Every time I have googled anything on Rockwell custom motors or blob files, this thread came up so I was hoping someone could help.
My ultimate goal is to be able to understand the data layout within the .blb file. I can see my motor part number but other then that, its just a bunch of hex numbers to me. So any help I can get would be so appreciated, again, thanks for answering!

The last time I had custom motor files made, they were done by Rockwell in the UK. The person that made the files is close to retirement but, as far as I know, he still works for Rockwell.

When I last inquired: if Rockwell produced a suitable motor that you could have used then they would charge to create the custom motor file. I don't know if Rockwell still offer this service but I may be about to find out as we've just received an order for another machine like the one that needed the last custom files.

Nick