Beckhoff CX1020-0111

Mad_Poet

Dear Sirs,
We have fourteen machines and each one has a Beckhoff CX1020-0111 PLC in it. There is also a CX1100-0004
Power supply in each machine.

One of the fourteen is now being problematic. (The Machine shuts down, and what diagnostics there are
suggest that ALL the I/O modules attached to the PLC are off line.) Power cycle the machine and it
runs for a couple of hours and quits again.

We've had these machines for over a decade now. I believe I need 'TwinCat' software to access the PLC?
Any suggestions as to version and is it free or will I need to buy it?

We do not use the ethernet ports on it in the application . . . Is there an easy to gain access to it via ethernet?
Or will I need to get something else?

It will be Monday before I get back to this . . . so I'm going to save this thread.
Thanks for any insights, Poet.

TwinCAT configuration and development is free and can be downloaded from Beckhoff web site.

There are two major versions, TwinCAT 2 and TwinCAT 3; given the age of these machines, they were probably done with TwinCAT 2.

You should be able to upload the system and I/O configuration from the processor without a problem. However, if the OEM did not leave a copy of the PLC source code, you will not be able to read it back.

If you never worked with Beckhoff software before, keep in mind there is a significant initial learning curve. Ideally, you might want to check with your nearest Beckhoff tech support and see if they will be willing to give you a kick start.

Is it own power supply to i/o cards? Maybe that is faulty? Did PLC still runs when the i/o cards was down ?

Last edited:
I know this doesn't help you, but we've had exactly the same issue with BC9100s. There are 13 on a site I look after, and the same one always faults. Beckhoff have been out twice, had copies of the code and modified the task configuration timout.

We've made modifications based on their suggestions as well as fault finding ourselves, but nothing ever cured the issue. It can go for months with no problem then fail 3 or 4 times in the space of a couple of months. The only solution is to completely reset the controller, twice, and re download the software.

TwinCAT configuration and development is free and can be downloaded from Beckhoff web site.

If you never worked with Beckhoff software before, keep in mind there is a significant initial learning curve. Ideally, you might want to check with your nearest Beckhoff tech support and see if they will be willing to give you a kick start.

It can have been downloaded to the PLC.

if so, you can retrieve it.

TwinCat system manager: File > Open from targer

PLC-Control: File > Open , then choose TAB 'Open project from PLC > PLC'.
Then select the type of CPU, choose the cpu and port.

I believe I need 'TwinCat' software to access the PLC?

You are most likely right, however, the CX series is a computer that can run different operating systems and be programmed with other languages or softwares.

Not saying that is the case with your system, just to keep that in mind if you're not sure.

Dear Sirs,
I attached a monitor to the DVI port . . and a keyboard and mouse to the USB ports . . .
And what I got was the same display as the little 'HMI' monitor on the machine. The
HMI is apparently just a PC touch screen. (It plugs in via the DVI port and a USB port.)

With the touch screen I was able to access a 'task manager' and when I exited the one
task that was running all I had was the O.E.M.'s splash screen. Apparently no XP, so I would assume some version of 'Windows CE'?

I think I have TwinCat software and I'm working up to installing it on an old laptop.
Will I need a standard Cat-5 cable to connect the laptop to the Beckhoff? Or will I
need a crossover cable?

What I really want to do, is to 'look at' the PLC itself when it is OK, and when it faults
so I can 'see' what sort of faults the computer has . . . Should the TwinCat 'tree'
part enable me to find the exact fault?

I'm pretty sure the problem is going to be one of four or so 'blocks' in the PLC and if
I can find which one it ought to be possible to buy just the right one . . . But, at the
moment, I have no idea how to separate the blocks.

Thanks for the suggestions, Poet.

I now have two problematic Beckhoff PLC's . . .
The first one, the machine would run an hour or more, then quit running. There is
a diagnostic access within the program, where I can go and 'see' the I/O modules.
And there are a lot of modules. The window is titled 'Device EtherCat' and when all
is running well the 'EC-State' has 'Run' for all the modules and I can 'step in' and
check the Inputs and Outputs. When the machine is out of whack I can still go to
'see' the modules but the 'EC-State' says 'Missing' and it won't show me the actual
inputs.

The second machine, the PLC part still seems to be working - I can go and check the
I/O . . . but every I/O Module says 'missing'. The boot sequence goes well . . .
The machine operating panel comes up. I can work the buttons on the touch screen
but the machine won't run and it has an error indication 'EtherCat 256 is broke' (Or words to that effect).

I did have a spare. But, first I swapped the totally broke PLC with the one that will run
for an hour or so . . and the symptoms swapped with the PLCs. So I replaced the one
that runs for an hour with the spare, and that machine seems to be running good again.

The spare came up with 'Windows CE'. Looked just like a Windows PC on a teeny tiny
screen. So I swapped that little memory card, and now that particular machine comes
up and runs like it ought.

Any thoughts? Is it maybe just the CX1100-0004 part of the PLC I need to replace?

Poet.

Replacing the CX1100-004 may work. That is like the power supply and the Ecat connection from the PC to the terminals.