Connect PLC to Barber Colman BAS

Sreeves

Hello all,

Has anyone here ever attempted to integrate Allen-Bradley PLCs into an existing Barber Colman BAS system? Looking for help on how to integrate and what has worked well for you.

Thanks

The first thing you have to do is to find out is how the barber Colman communicates, I mean, what protocol uses, does it use ethernet, etc.
Look at your plc manual and find out what type of communication use, do the same investigation then compare them.

If they are somewhat compatible try to use a bridge between them.
Or finally you can try to do it the hard way using sockets, If you Plc is capable.

The Barber Colman has a UNC (Universal Network Controller) that takes the serial communication of the GCM and produces an ethernet communication where a PC connects via webpage using the UNC IP address.

It seems to be standard TCP/IP, If that is the case then sockets is the way to go.
Please be sure that a protocol like Bacnet or Modbus TCP is used in that unit, that will help you if you want to use a bridge.
Please contact Barbel Colman dealer if they still exist.

Barber Colman was bought out by schneider electric a long time ago. And it does use BACnet in the UNC. Can you explain sockets to me? I have never used them and therefore unfamiliar with the concept.

Thanks for the info so far, definitely appreciated