Learning by Doing Ch 3 The stepper motor

leitmotif

Although I did not title it as such the last chapter would have been the PID. Learned a lot will give the details in that post.

SO
on to the stepper motor.

I checked for info on the postings here. All I found was Paulas wire cutting machine. If I recall correctly, she used Auto Direct PLC and translater and stepper motor and encoder (??). I envy her wisdom.

I am using surplus "its been laying around here" stuff for my project. BUT it is the schools equipment and it is FREE.

Paula please send me five pounds of wisdom.

I am doing self directed study where I pick what I want and need to learn. I guess this makes me an advanced student - the instructor says he has to study to stay ahead of me. So I guess the stepper motor effort is a learning exercise for both of us.

PLC INFO
Allen Bradley SLC 5 05
Stepper control card 1746 HSTP1
Stepper control card instruction manual Pub 999 121 Dec 99.

STEPPER MOTOR INFO
Translater
Warner Electric Slo Syn
Model SS2000MD7
Terminals for motor control (top to bottom)
Pin Assignment
1 OPTO power for opto isolaters
2 PULSE pulse input Low to hi transition advance motor one
step
3 DIR High motor is CW low motor is CCW
4 AWO All winding off input. low - AC and DC to motor
is zero. No holding torque when low
5 RDCE Reduce current input. motor current is 50% when
signal is low. Also reduces torque.

Motor Slo Syn
Model MO93 FD 14
Six lead, paralleled fields - manual says to tie fields together leave other two leads un connected.

QUESTIONS
1. Will this combination work ??
Has anyone tried and failed
OR succeeded but with great difficulty.

2. On p 5 2 of AM instruction manual Pub 999 121 Dec 99
it says
Processor configuration using APS
Instructor says this (APS) is old (outdated ??) software and wonders is manual most up to date. We are having difficulty getting the module configured.
Checked
A Rockwell web page the only thing listed is the manual above.
B checked the Rockwell "general forum" and 500 forum for
info -- did not find
Does anyone know of additional info ie tech bulletins etc regarding the 1746 HSTP1 module.

3. What are the "school of hard knocks lessons" learned in the field on this module?? Any neat tips or tricks of the trade??

PLAN OF ATTACK for next Tue
1. Will use translater module manual and wire in simple trigger switch to make sure module and motor are OK and will operate. THEN
2. To keep this simple at least at first step of learn curve. Will have stepper go only one direction with just one home switch.
3 Continue to try to figure out how to wire the AB module to the translater. Translater module manual pretty good - the AB manual oh well -- anyway they do not use common terms so it has us scratching our heads ie which wire goes where? Instructor thinks he knows - made notes -- so will try it out.

Thanks for the help

Dan Bentler

I take it this is the manual you have for the HSTP1:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um121_-en-p.pdf

Chapter 5 page 2 tells you how to configure the module, in RSL500 it isnt alot different. When you open RSL500 you will create a new project using a 5/05 when the program opens clik on I/O configuration in the menu on the left then find the HSTP1 an place it in a slot. I dont think you have to use the ID code with RSL, it should create the 8 input and 8 output words automatically.

BTW Paula used a VFD and 3ph motor.

rsdoran said:
I take it this is the manual you have for the HSTP1:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um121_-en-p.pdf
REPLY Checked it yes that is it.

Chapter 5 page 2 tells you how to configure the module, in RSL500 it isnt alot different. When you open RSL500 you will create a new project using a 5/05 when the program opens clik on I/O configuration in the menu on the left then find the HSTP1 an place it in a slot.
REPLY We got that far. Guess we need details on the next step??

I dont think you have to use the ID code with RSL, it should create the 8 input and 8 output words automatically.
REPLY we are not getting that. That is one of the confusers.
What was APS anyway??

BTW Paula used a VFD and 3ph motor.
REPLY Thanks - I guess I was thinking the encoder and jumped to a conclusion.

Thanks

Dan

I dont think you have to use the ID code with RSL, it should create the 8 input and 8 output words automatically.
REPLY we are not getting that. That is one of the confusers.
I just tried it and yes it does create the I/O words automatically. What version of RSLogix 500 are you using?

What was APS anyway??
"Advanced Programming Software" - a misnomer if ever there was one.
Back in the days before AB/Rockwell bought Icom, this was their programming package for the SLC500 line (DOS-based).

Gerry
Thanks for APS definition.
And for running a trial run.

Don't know version number of Logix 500 we are using. We have the simple version (does not let you do the graphs) and the medium version (does let you do graph) BUT NOT the Profesional (is it?) that lets you do all them fancy graphic stuff. Does that make a difference for our application??

Will have to wait until Tues before I get version #.

I guess that is the drawback of going to school.

Dan

leitmotif said:
Does that make a difference for our application??

I was thinking you might have an old revision that didn't support the HSTP1 properly, but, thinking again, that module probably pre-dates RSLogix so rev. shouldn't be relevant.

I should have mentioned I did open RSL500 and installed the module, it created the I/O words without the code part.

There were several examples of interfacing in the manual but I didnt get time to look at how they were wired.

Gerry said:
"Advanced Programming Software" - a misnomer if ever there was one.
I think APS replaced the earlier POPS (Plain ol' Programming Software)... :p

I used APS for years, and although it wasn't quite the package RSLogix is, it sure beat using the HHT!... :nodi:

Keep us posted on your progress, Dan... (y)
🍻

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
I think APS replaced the earlier POPS (Plain ol' Programming Software)... :p

I used APS for years, and although it wasn't quite the package RSLogix is, it sure beat using the HHT!... :nodi:

Keep us posted on your progress, Dan... (y)
🍻

-Eric

I used it for years too. I don't remember it being hard to work with; maybe the early versions. Its all we had till they shook the bugs in the early RSLogix which I remember was a total PITA.

Thanx for thoughts guys.

Just dawned on me I have the RS Logix manual at home. Entitled
RS Logix and Micro logix 1000 cat #s 1747 L511 and L514 and L524 and L531 and L532 L541 L542 L543 and L551 and L 552 L553.
Pub # cant find one
I ASSUME (bells whistles alarms)
1. that vendor gave school the right manual to the PLC.
2. vendor gave (SOLD) school an operating module (we are the first to try it)
3. vendor gave us the right version of 5 05
4. Instructor is giving me the right key disc.

Guess I got some stuff to check out.

Dan

rsdoran said:
I should have mentioned I did open RSL500 and installed the module, it created the I/O words without the code part.

There were several examples of interfacing in the manual but I didnt get time to look at how they were wired.
Ron

Can you send me the keystroke sequence you used to install the module please. Maybe we are missing somethng and it is so simple we are not thinking of it

Thanks dan

Open the project for the 5/05 then goto I/O configuration and double click on it
ioconfig.jpg

A window will open with I/O modules listed scroll down to the HSTP1 then double click it and it will place it in the I/O list on left.
ioselection.jpg

If you double click on the Stepper module once its in list a property window will open:
advio.jpg

Ignore the fact that its listed in Slot 1 but properties state Slot 3...I was playing around and changed the slot. I assume you are aware that addressing is based on the slot.

Hot dawg I didnt get beat to the punch this time.

Last edited:
It's quite easy in RSLogix. Double click on the I/O configuration, then select the slot where the HSTP1 is installed. Choose 1746-HSTP1 from the list and you're done. When you click on the 'Adv Config' button, it shows that the words are automatically allocated.

1746-HSTP1config.jpg

🍻

-Eric